Need Verification to disable Tire Pressure monitor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on how to disable the TPS when aftermarket Wheels are installed. None of us want to pay $99 a sensor for our new Giovanna's. I found a way to disable them but I need some back up before I try it. So there is plastic cover right below the glove box remove screw and pull down you going to see a little green box (tire pressure monitor ECU)it has plug with 16 wires look for the #6(when you unplug and looking at the plug in front of you star #1 top left corner and #9 should be right below that anyway is the blue wire you need to cut this and ground the wire going to the bulb or light not the one for the little box and the light goes off even with one of your OEM wheels and tires flat. Have any of you guys heard of this?? This is just what I found searching the internet. I have no clue if it would work or not.

Narco

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i bought 4 new ones off ebay for $90 bucks for the set and that included shipping. aftermarket wheels and tires are too expensive not to have them IMO. i bought them after i had the wheels put on. im dropping it next week and when i take it in for alignment theyre gonna put the TPMSs back in for me.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't put the sensors in my 24s and would love to disable the warning. All I could find on google was the PVC tube trick and some talk about dealers not being able to disable the system. I find it hard to believe that it can't be programmed out some how.

Keep us posted if you try this mod.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on how to disable the TPS when aftermarket Wheels are installed. None of us want to pay $99 a sensor for our new Giovanna's. I found a way to disable them but I need some back up before I try it. So there is plastic cover right below the glove box remove screw and pull down you going to see a little green box (tire pressure monitor ECU)it has plug with 16 wires look for the #6(when you unplug and looking at the plug in front of you star #1 top left corner and #9 should be right below that anyway is the blue wire you need to cut this and ground the wire going to the bulb or light not the one for the little box and the light goes off even with one of your OEM wheels and tires flat. Have any of you guys heard of this?? This is just what I found searching the internet. I have no clue if it would work or not.

I would say the easy way is to just get new sensors, can easily fnd all four for $180 or less.

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
When I had my new wheels installed we just took the valves off the stock wheels and transferred them to the new wheels.
The TPS works fine on the new wheels and it didnt cost a penny

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha-Ha if funny how we're willing to spend $1000+ on wheels and tires but don't want to spend $200 on some items that would let us know when one of our $1K wheels is low on air thus risking damage to it. I guess to each their own.
Sorry I don't know much about the system bro, even if you disable it wouldn't the light still stay on?

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
Ha-Ha if funny how we're willing to spend $1000+ on wheels and tires but don't want to spend $200 on some items that would let us know when one of our $1K wheels is low on air thus risking damage to it. I guess to each their own.
Sorry I don't know much about the system bro, even if you disable it wouldn't the light still stay on?

From my limited undertsanding, Isnt it a pressure sensitive tire valve which sends a radio signal with the pressure reading to the TPM unit?

All you have to do is transfer them from your stock wheels to your new one's and there you go.

If you buy a new set then you have to go to a dealer to have them programmed to your truck. Therefore much easier and cheaper to take them off your stock wheels and put them on your new wheels for FREEEEE!

The only downside is that during the winter when you put your stock wheels back on your "Service Tire Pressure Sensor" led will illuminate when you start up but you can delete it

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my limited undertsanding, Isnt it a pressure sensitive tire valve which sends a radio signal with the pressure reading to the TPM unit?

All you have to do is transfer them from your stock wheels to your new one's and there you go.

If you buy a new set then you have to go to a dealer to have them programmed to your truck. Therefore much easier and cheaper to take them off your stock wheels and put them on your new wheels for FREEEEE!

The only downside is that during the winter when you put your stock wheels back on your "Service Tire Pressure Sensor" led will illuminate when you start up but you can delete it

Yes that is what I did, just transfer mine from my old wheels. I don't have winter wheels though since I sold the stockers. I'll never live anywhere that snows alot :). I know the valvestem is part of the system but not sure what role it plays. The sensors probably communicates with the valvestem. I'll let the experts attempt to answer this.