Need new Wheels for 15 Tahoe LT- 22" or 24" Is 24" worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, I'm hoping to find some 24's that weigh close to my factory 22's. B/c though the 22's look decent, 24's look better....

9MlcBif.jpg
I replaced my water heater a couple months ago, but had my two cars on the street so I can accept delivery of the new heater in the driveway. So don't mind the heater in the pic....

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what its worrh, the factory 22” chrome insert denali wheels and well worn original bridgestones weigh in at just under 85 pounds.

A264747B-8640-4751-BFB8-5217A6962ACA.jpeg

jdeastbay

Reaction score
I went black 22", Black Rhino Peak wheels love them with the Nitto Grappler G2.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well worn huh?!?!

According to car and driver by “well worn” you must have worn off about 3+ lbs. worth of tread off your tire...

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/t...15-gmc-yukon-xl-denali-are-heavy-really-heavy

Could you see the steel belts showing through the tread?!?!

Lol! No they honestly were not bald by any means. Im not sure exactly how much tread was left, but there was still siping showing. My wife was still driving around with them in the winter with no drama. The main issue that drove me to swap them out was they were getting cupped and noisy, to the point they were extremely annoying.

Not really sure why, either. Truck was stock, alignment was fine, they were rotated whenever the dealer said it was time, but the insides of the tires were wearing... I think from the front end.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen that and thought; damn he got his money worth out of those tires for sure! I’m sure there’s some scale variation, some manufacturing tolerances, and even the number of weights used to balance the tire could impact the weight some. It’s probably safe to say they fall somewhere between 85-87 ish lbs. a piece though.

Here’s a good post for reference on varying wheel and tire weights from Tony’s 2016 Escalade Build thread comparing some OEM 22’s to 24” Replicas to 26” Dub Future’s...

OEM 22s with tires mounted was 85.1
24x10 reps with 305 35 24 95.2 lbs each
26s dub futures with tires 88.4 each
View attachment 168870

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
24s don’t even look big on these big suv’s. They ride good. People who bend rims can’t drive. I’ve rode 26s and 28s for past 4 years and never bent anything and there are tons of pot holes in my city too. I just don’t drive like a woman, watch where your driving. No texting and driving. It’s amazing when u actually drive and watch the road.

Also KMC slides are dated and washed up. Your truck will look like it’s came from 2007 if you put slides on it... get some 24” reps or some strada coda wheels :2cents:a new style wheel not an old style

2016YUKONSLT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 24" Dub Futures and Norcal's 2/4" drop kit. My gas mileage is the same as before when I had the 20" stock rim. Ride quality is a little more bumpier due to smaller sidewall on country roads. Once on the highway or interstate, I can't tell the difference. Random people compliment the truck constantly and ask if they are 22's. They are surprised when I tell them they are 24s.

The market for 24s tires is smaller than the market for 22s. That means there are more tires available for the 22s by different manufacturers.

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was looking at the KMC D2s in 24's. Specs show the wheel weighs 39lbs; grappler IIs at 58lbs. SO I am looking at 98lbs each wheel. I am assuming a 10lbs increase over he factory 18"s and whatever tires are on there. A little disappointed because I was hoping I could lighten the load a bit since I am pushing the wheel weigh outwards. Thats another 40lbs+ of unsprung weight which is going to hinder performance a bit. I can only hope the wilwoods down the road will cut some of that off. :/

OP
OP
LTahoeFL

LTahoeFL

Reaction score
I have 24" Dub Futures and Norcal's 2/4" drop kit. My gas mileage is the same as before when I had the 20" stock rim. Ride quality is a little more bumpier due to smaller sidewall on country roads. Once on the highway or interstate, I can't tell the difference. Random people compliment the truck constantly and ask if they are 22's. They are surprised when I tell them they are 24s.

The market for 24s tires is smaller than the market for 22s. That means there are more tires available for the 22s by different manufacturers.

Thanks. Silly question, but I figured i would ask. Outside of aesthetics, what would be the reason to drop the ride height?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094