Need new Wheels for 15 Tahoe LT- 22" or 24" Is 24" worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTahoeFL

Reaction score
Hey guys, i am new to the forum and I am sure this has been discussed already, I just brought a gray 2015 tahoe and I'm struggling with the idea if getting some KMC slides. I like the more conservative black look and I don't want to change my ride height. Are there other similar wheels I should look at that may be less expensive? I don't want to spend $2500 if I don't have to? Also should i go 22s or 24s? I went into a few local Orlando shops and they all try to talk me out of the 22s. I agree they may look better, but I had custom wheels years ago and they were a pain. What am I giving up with 24s.

bgsntth

Reaction score
With 24" wheels, and the assumption of a lot of additional unsprung weight, you will be giving up gas mileage, acceleration, braking, turn-in, and ride quality. You will also be increasing wear on suspension components and adding far greater risk of replacing damaged tires and wheels. At least the truck was designed for 22" wheels, so if the KMC's 24" wheels do not add that much weight over the OE22", you might be OK?

OP
OP
LTahoeFL

LTahoeFL

Reaction score
With 24" wheels, and the assumption of a lot of additional unsprung weight, you will be giving up gas mileage, acceleration, braking, turn-in, and ride quality. You will also be increasing wear on suspension components and adding far greater risk of replacing damaged tires and wheels. At least the truck was designed for 22" wheels, so if the KMC's 24" wheels do not add that much weight over the OE22", you might be OK?

Thanks for the info. That is the kind of response I was hoping to get. I haven't heard anything close to that from the local tire shops...Now I am better informed.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bigger wheels, to an extent, are mainly just an aesthetics thing. I can not think of one benefit of choosing 24's over 22's, except the aesthetics thing (if that is even your thing). I suppose if you had absolutely massive brakes and needed the extra room, maybe that would be another need/benefit.

If you are not trying to build a fairly custom looking Tahoe, I personally would not go over 22". Depending on the look/style you are after, a 20" may be even a better idea.

OP
OP
LTahoeFL

LTahoeFL

Reaction score
The bigger wheels, to an extent, are mainly just an aesthetics thing. I can not think of one benefit of choosing 24's over 22's, except the aesthetics thing (if that is even your thing). I suppose if you had absolutely massive brakes and needed the extra room, maybe that would be another need/benefit.

If you are not trying to build a fairly custom looking Tahoe, I personally would not go over 22". Depending on the look/style you are after, a 20" may be even a better idea.

Thanks for the voice of reason....All I keep hearing is "if I am looking at Black rims, they tent to look small so 24s are the way to go"

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think 24s would look better, but 22s would also look great. I would imagine 22s tires and wheels are cheaper. Also a little less wear on your suspension. You stand a better chance of not bending a rim or blowing a tire on the 22s, but that’s kind of obvious.

22s now look OEM. So for a real tricked out look, 24s all of the way. I wouldn’t touch 20s. They look like you’re running donuts on this gen of suvs.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wheel size is a matter of opinion and there are some very good points above. My 06 has 24s (started with OEM 16s, then 20s), my 13 has 20s and the work 18 has 18s. All serve their purpose respectively and of course the thicker sidewall tire eats up the road and bumps very well. The newest body style K2XX that you are referring too are being delivered with OEM 22s.

That is a great size overall, but the 20s do a great job and look good too, if you want more sidewall. Many guys on here run 24s without any problems. As a suggestion, have a look at this tire calculator to get a better numerical representation of how much the tire sizes differ and contrast and compare other trucks on the forum to see what look you are going after. https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=295-35r24-285-45r22

You can change the values and compare tires side-by-side.

Screen Shot 2018-04-27 at 18.24.37.png

noob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 24 replicas on my 2010 escalade and it took a huge hit on gas mileage. And I have gone through many tires and at least 3 rims (bent from hitting large potholes or curbs).

My 2017 has 22’s and rides smooth, I get 17mpg avg on this car compared to the 13 I was getting on the other.

I just had a loaner escalade with 20’s on it. Same year as my 17, and believe it or not, I feel as though my car with 22’s rides smoother.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As previously stated the difference between 22’s and 24’s is almost purely aesthetic and for looks. Many of the OEM 22” wheels with tire weigh 88+lbs. each. Some of the multi-spoke heavier chrome variants are 92+ lbs. each for OEM 22’s! Most replicas aren’t any better when it comes to weight per wheel.

I’m not sure about the KMC Slides, but there are plenty of 24” wheel and tire setups that can weigh the same if not less than some of the OEM 22” wheel set-ups, and you don’t have to go to a forged wheel to achieve this either. With a 24” wheel set-up with the same or lesser weight than OEM 22’s all the factors of additional unsprung weight, negative affects on acceleration, braking, additional wear & tear on suspension become mute points. Because it is the additional weight above and beyond any stock wheel set-up that causes any of that.

You could experience a negative affect on ride quality and smoothness going with 24” rims, but that could also be the difference between a quality tire and a cheap tire no matter what the rim diameter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts