Need help with squating on a 2008 XL Denali's rear while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I've used the hot oj many stock trucks inside diameter is 4.9 which fits good

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
I realized the load leveling air compressor wasn't operating under heavy loads. Probably the reason the one new air shock boot on the drivers rear is shredded. So, I purchased a new air compressor assembly from amazon and installed it last night. I put 500 lbs of weight in the rear cargo area and turned the ignition to on. I only hear 1 click coming from the compressor. The old compressor did the same thing. So, I investigated further with the Automatic Level Control (ALC) relay. I watched a youtube video on how to test the relay. Put 12 volts to the relay and checked the restistance. Everything checked out okay. Circuit closed with zero ohms. So, I'm puzzled on why the compressor will not run. Anyone have suggestions? Truck is at the stealership now for diagnostics.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Okay, 2 new oem air shocks and oem compressor replaced by dealer. I get home and don't hear the compressor, even after I deflate the shocks by disconnecting the air lines to each. Back to the dealer I go. Why won't my compressor activate???? Service tech took it back on the hoist. This is becoming a real thorn in my side.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Don't think so. I checked 40 and 45 under the hood. I hear the compressor click once about 8 sec after I turn on the truck. Nothing else. I'm actually waiting now at the dealer while they investigate. I wonder if the relay is the culprit.?.? I did a bench test on it but it check out.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Update, dealer says the new compressor is fried after 2 hours on the car. A short? Theyre still investigating. What would cause a new compressor to overload and fail immediately?

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
do yourself a favor get rid of rear autoride and do helper bags. it will tow better vs oem set up ive swapped over many

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
do yourself a favor get rid of rear autoride and do helper bags. it will tow better vs oem set up ive swapped over many
I would but my service warranty contract is paying for it. If it came out of my pocket, I'd change out the springs for some moog z71s and replace the air shocks with bilstein 5100s.

The dealer burned up 2 compressors now and kept the truck over the weekend. Gave me a 2016 yukon xl loaner. Nice improvement over the last gen platform. I think they just want me to buy a new one. Sticker is $60k and it's just a SLE trim. $80K for the denali I'm sure. That's hard to swallow.

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
I still think the compressors are being shorted by the relay somehow. Dealer says it's not. Why would 3 compressors blow with hours of installation?

OP
OP
B

busterbrown

Reaction score
Norcal (Tony): If the dealer doesn't come up with a fix, what setup do you suggest I move forward with in order to make it a nice tow vehicle? My travel trailer is approximately 6000 lbs and would to help out my 08 Denali anyway I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87