Need help with persistent oil leak! Pls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mcbusiness11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2003 Yukon XL 1500 2wd with the 5.3. I've had a bad oil leak, bad enough that I can watch it drip about every 3 seconds. I changed the oil pan gasket twice now, new oil pressure sensor (the one on the top rear of the engine) and it's still leaking brand new oil. The oil drops off the 2 rear bolts, the long skinny ones. I have looked in the bell housing inspection plate and see no oil. I'm thinking the rear cover is leaking. Does this sound like the right direction to go? I just wanted a few more opinions before I tackle this endeavor. Thank you in advance!

Shaw520

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bad news is that it could be rear main seal,..rather common in these motors,...how many miles are on her ?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear seal is in the rear cover, same job to get to both, aka your pulling the tranny.

id get a flash light under the there, inspection cover off, look between the engine and flex plate, will be wet on the block side if either cover or seal is leaking.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been avoiding the same problem with mine, mines is also around 220k miles. I've been changing most of the engine seals, such as valve covers,oil block off plate,oil pressure unit, and did my pan gasket about 2 weeks ago etc... The pan gasket replacement did the most for me, as mine was leaking. I still have a leak in the rear part of the engine which am more than sure its a rear main seal. I also have those 2 bolts wet with oil. The only thing that bothers me is pulling the tranny off which will be a pain in the butt! I bought a rear main seal and cover gasket along with the alignment tool about a year ago, but I've been avoiding it since then, since mine is just a drip here and there every few hours, enough to leak about 3/4's of a quart over 7 months.

Keep us posted with your findings :)

Wildhorse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At least they are one piece seals....done a ton of the 2 piecers...happy when they went the way of the Dodo

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Sub'd for conclusion, fighting a persistent leak myself. I need to do the pick-up O-ring and oil pump anyway, but I'm really worried part of my problem is the real seal...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe