Need Help Understand Tire Rim Offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LTahoeFL

Reaction score
Looking to purchase 24x10 - 6x5.5 BL .7 30 78.1 rims for my 2015 Chevy Tahoe. I do not know what all the numbers mean. But I have been told it has a +30 offset. Does anyone know where I could find the Chevy recommended offset for 24s? I have been told conflicting definitions from two local dealers. One said I should be looking for a negative offset and that +30 is the amount of space the rim will go into the wheel well -meaning it will rim. Can anyone explain.

Thanks

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for the 2015 on most of the manufactures are doing a +30 offset, the higher the offset, the further inboard the wheels will sit. The lower the offset the wheels will sit further out. Since the wheels are 10" wide, but are 24" diameter, this should be the proper wheel application for keeping the wheels just inside the fender and should not rub on the inside when lock to lock. I think the newer 15>on models have a little room to be a bit more aggressive, but the 24" is more of a street application. I am running a 22x10.0 with a +0 and my wheels are outside the fender a good 3/4 of an inch, maybe even a inch, but I leveled the front and running a more aggressive off road tread design, so the look seems to be the right combination. Most of the 22" wheels are typically a 9.5 and are around a +18 to +20, if you add the extra 1/2" to the wheel width, to the inside, that is basically where the +30 offset calculates.

Hope this info helps.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya, I was just going thru all this myself looking wheels for my 03 Silverado which is +15 every dam wheel is either +30 or backordered, grrr

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I went from the NBS z71 snowflakes to the nnbs split spokes and I think one was 31 and one was 24... I think.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for the 2015 on most of the manufactures are doing a +30 offset, the higher the offset, the further inboard the wheels will sit. The lower the offset the wheels will sit further out.

This is a good explanation...

Higher offset = closer to inside wheel well, suspension, and brakes.

Lower offset = further away from inside wheel well closer to outside of the fender lip

This is a good website to play around with different wheel sizes, tire diameters, wheel widths, and offsets.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Enter your existing wheel set up on the left, enter the potential new wheel set up on the right and it will let you know how much further out and/or closer in the new wheel set up will be compared to what you’re on now. It also provides any affects on the speedometer with different wheel diameters and it’s a good tool to find what tire widths and sizes you can go to and maintain the same overall wheel diameter.

4OFFSHR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, apparently, the offset is in millimeters.
Correct...which basically means the pad is +30mm off the pad from zero, so based on a 10" wide wheel the backspacing on a +30 = a 4inch backspace. Since most wheels are measured more precise these days, they do it in millimeters so the numbers are exact. Most of the off-road applications list a 0, or -10 or -12, meaning they are pushed further out. Some go even more negative than that, and for some that are more of a street application they are +18, +20, and +30. Again it depends on the rim width too, not all manufactures are the same...and the diameter size varies as well, 18x8.5, 18x9.0, 20x9.0, 20x9.5, 20x10.0, 22x9.0, 22x9.5, and 22x10.0. Most of the 24's usually seem to be a 24x10.0.
Hope this helps.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
There really needs to be a sticky in each gen thread about what size rubs and with what suspension. Probably the most commonly asked question of all time. Not just here but in all automotive groups I've noticed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjhorst14