need help solving lean condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the mad unplugged for about 1 minute then varied the rpm for another minute. engine temp was 192 and was in open loop when I did the test
To really get an idea of what is going on, you would want to drive it around for 3-4 minutes to see where the trims start to trend.

It's difficult to know what could be going on with the vehicle in park/neutral due to how little load is being applied to the engine.

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to get to the bottom of my super bad mpg (150-180 a tank) and p0171 and p0174 codes. at first i took it to a shop to be looked at and i was told i had 3 bad injectors and they wanted to charge me around $750 for 8 injectors and labor. but after changing my evap purge valve my check engine light went away and i figured they was trying to **** me over. i ended up buying an al619 scan tool to figure out why my abs light was on and noticed my LTFTs were super high between 18% and 25%. after some reading online i came to the conclusion that i have a fuel delivery problem. but something i did notice is that my LTFTs are less than 10% when cold and rise has the car gets closer to operating temps. i have not checked my plugs yet and what should i check before i start dumping money into it
I had error codes indicating both my banks were running lean. I did notice as well a lack of power all the time as well as poor fuel economy.

So I researched then bought a can of Royal Purple fuel system cleaner. It took 2 days of burning fuel then my check engine light went off.
I have had problems with the MAF as well but after cleaning it seems fine.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had error codes indicating both my banks were running lean. I did notice as well a lack of power all the time as well as poor fuel economy.

So I researched then bought a can of Royal Purple fuel system cleaner. It took 2 days of burning fuel then my check engine light went off.
I have had problems with the MAF as well but after cleaning it seems fine.

Yes I have the same lean problem. Although I have used a few fuel cleaners only royal purple came close. The check engine light still comes on but not as often. After researching it online I am going to try a second royal purple in the fuel again. I cleaned the MAF which did help.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the same lean problem. Although I have used a few fuel cleaners only royal purple came close. The check engine light still comes on but not as often. After researching it online I am going to try a second royal purple in the fuel again. I cleaned the MAF which did help.

Fuel cleaners aren't going to fix things like leaking intake gaskets or bad 02 sensors. What codes re you getting? If it's both banks then look at what they share. I would start with the intake gasket or the engine sucking in unmetered air..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To really get an idea of what is going on, you would want to drive it around for 3-4 minutes to see where the trims start to trend.

It's difficult to know what could be going on with the vehicle in park/neutral due to how little load is being applied to the engine.
In park or neutral runs fine. I never hear it running strange. Just one bank is showing as lean.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since fuel trims are on the menu, would anybody care to give me some clues as to what’s going on with my application?

sonic_the_hedgeh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm trying to get to the bottom of my super bad mpg (150-180 a tank) and p0171 and p0174 codes. at first i took it to a shop to be looked at and i was told i had 3 bad injectors and they wanted to charge me around $750 for 8 injectors and labor. but after changing my evap purge valve my check engine light went away and i figured they was trying to **** me over. i ended up buying an al619 scan tool to figure out why my abs light was on and noticed my LTFTs were super high between 18% and 25%. after some reading online i came to the conclusion that i have a fuel delivery problem. but something i did notice is that my LTFTs are less than 10% when cold and rise has the car gets closer to operating temps. i have not checked my plugs yet and what should i check before i start dumping money into it
My check engine light still comes on. Where is the purge valve to replace? I have to try that.

I figure only thing I have left is to take the vacuum line off the back of the engine and put some seafaom through it. Not sure if that will help.

I have 6.0 later and mine says lean on one bank. If I put any cleaner in the fuel the light will go off for days at a time.

I haven't had the chance to remove the vacuum line at the back of the engine but might just work as apparently it leads directly to the injectors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic