need help solving lean condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been ardent EFILive users and supporters for 13 years now and one of the key benefits that I've seen is the flexibility of their scan tool is quite a bit above HPT and HPT is leaps and bounds above many others. Both software packages are extremely capable though and really end up being about individual preference these days.

You will need to download the EFILive V7.5 software to view, but attached is your factory calibration, latest version, from GM. If you ever need to reference, it will just be a matter of cross-referencing the two software packages. You'll likely find that EFILive has a few tables that HPTuners does not and vice versa. For instance, HPTuners was missing some key fan control parameters for a good 4 or 5 years, but got E38 de-soot parameters in ahead of EFILive.

thanks, ill check that out.

i went with hpt because i know a hand full of people who have used it for years, aka live tech support. always good to have help just a phone call away.

pretty much only help ive reached out for is the scanner set up, setting that up made me feel like a noob tuner. where in reality ive been tuning 3800's for 8 years now. but dhp is a old barbaric tuner next to others out there. opened up hpt and was like ok where do i start here? i spent hours just looking at every tab and the files listed to get familiar with em. even the 3800 bin file in hpt has a ton more settings then im used to.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of a tune but I figured I had to get this problem out the way. I'm waiting to borrow a friend's fuel pressure gauge to see what's going on. if that's not the problem I might just take it somewhere. being partially disabled with no place to work on the truck has me limited

smart move on the repairs before tune. you never want to tune anything thats not running its best.

intake gaskets take a few hours to complete. parked on the street in NY, road side repairs happen all the time. if working with someone even faster.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is 2 pictures I just took. as u can see just raising the rpm by 100 sends the ltft over 10%IMG_20180319_141050.jpg IMG_20180319_141041.jpg

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try it with the MAF disconnected to isolate that variable.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
efilive looks pretty cool. a lot like dhp with the drop down menu, but way more details in the windows for sure.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try it with the MAF disconnected to isolate that variable.
tried with the maf unplugged and the ltft was stuck at 9.6 through out the rpm range except when I let off the gas it bounced around for a second or 2

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ever clean your maf? we're pages deep now. i cant recall.

when you unplug the maf it runs off the pcm's settings. forces it into open loop. same as when its on a cold start.

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tried with the maf unplugged and the ltft was stuck at 9.6 through out the rpm range except when I let off the gas it bounced around for a second or 2

How much time did you give it to learn? 9.6% is still quite a bit better, but not conclusive.

ever clean your maf? we're pages deep now. i cant recall.

when you unplug the maf it runs off the pcm's settings. forces it into open loop. same as when its on a cold start.

MAF was cleaned in a previous post. Unplugging it will still allow for trims to function and remain in closed loop as long as the engine is above 130 degrees. The two drawbacks are intake air temps locks in (temporarily) at -38*F and the PCM drops to the low octane spark table, but otherwise everything functions as normal.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the mad unplugged for about 1 minute then varied the rpm for another minute. engine temp was 192 and was in open loop when I did the test