Need help. Fuel system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright all. Wife came home from getting groceries and the 07 Yukon smell of fuel. Strong smell inside and out of the car. It's raining outside so no visual leaks. I need help. Where do I start. Is this a common issue. Please. Any advise is welcome. Have two children and the wife doesn't want to drive the car bc in the short trip she got a headache from the fumes.

Thank you.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened up the engine bay and no real fuel smell either. Only other symptoms at the moment is the car is taking a little longer to turn over. Starting issue could be separate bc it has been going on last three days. Please help.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See if you can smell it worse back by the fuel tank. There is a common problem, especially in salt states, where the fuel lines rust out at the top of the tank where they come up out of the fuel pump which is inside the tank. There is a depression area on the tank top that can act as an area where water can sit and rust out the lines. I'm not an expert on this but I've heard of it happening. It would also explain the difficulty starting if the fuel pressure is bleeding off due to a small hole in a line, which may now be a bigger hole. I'm not sure how to check it because it's hard to see up there but you might be able to have someone turn the key on while you try to look up there. No need to start the engine, just need the fuel pump to come on. Watch for leaks or a noise that sounds like a leak. An inspection mirror might help. Good luck.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tha is for the info. That's a good area to start looking and hope it fixes both issues.

Yea I have a friend that has the same issue and she hasn't looked into it but her car is way worst off then mine and my fear is mine will be at her level soon. Thanks for a direction to look into. The plan is to take the car to the shop on Wednesday. Took two days off to figure it out and fix the the problem. Please anyone send your advice.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did some research on YouTube and found that the fuel sending unit is a common place for pin holes and leaks. I will run to the store tomorrow and see what parts they have. I hope this fixes it. Anyone have any suggestions on what jobs can or should be done if I plan on dropping the fuel tank.

Thanks again.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, before running to the store and with the sun up and the ground dry, fire it up and look for leaks on the ground and in the engine bay. Then visually inspect the lines from the motor all the way back to the fuel tank. Also look around the top of the motor for small leaks. Then go to the store.

OP
OP
Kodiak Yukon

Kodiak Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take a look but there is a really strong smell coming from around the rear tires. Never going to rule anything out till I find the actual problem. So I will look at the motor as well. Taking it into the shop on Wednesday. I have a auto hobby shop with lifts I can work at or a few bucks an hour for the bay time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14