Need help finding axle seals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hope this is in the right place. Hey guys need some help getting parts for my 97 yukon gt. went to change rear drum brakes last night and had a mess of what looked like grease everywhere. so I'm looking to change the axle seal and bearings however, previous owner did a rear axle swap to a 14 bolt 9.5 inch 6 lug semi floating rear end, only info I got from him was it's out of a 1500 hd. with out knowing the year make and model of the axle parts truck, how do I get parts for this repair. I've never worked on a rear end in the past. And this is my first 4 wheel drive truck i have owned. Also what else would you recommend replacing while rear diff cover is open. Really don't want to go back in there for awhile. truck has 147k miles 6 inch lift 3 inch body lift running 35x12.5x15 tires thanks for any Info you can provide.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Pop the seal and get a number for a crossover and the same for the bearings. Make sure you check the axle where the bearing rides on it and see if there is any damage there that would mean replacing the axle. Also check for where the seal rides because over time that hardened seal can wear a groove on the axle and even with a new seal it will leak all over again. To combat that you can get offset seal/bearing kits. Has the bearing and reposition's the seal to a different sealing surface on the axle. If you get new axles you will not have to do that.

OP
OP
B

Brian B

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info guys will dig into it in the next couple of days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts