Need Advice on Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Just got the news from my dealer that my right front shock is frozen solid, and one of my rear shocks is leaking. This is on a 2013 Yukon Denali Hybrid, all stock, with 115K miles on it.

Dealer Service is recommending I replace both front shocks and both rear shocks, and also the compressor as they say the compressor may soon fail and may ruin my new shocks.

I am inclined to have them just replace the two defective shocks and not the others, and not the compressor; would I be foolish? It's not that I can't afford to replace all, but I don't want to waste money.

I plan to keep the vehicle as long as possible.

Price quoted is $1445 plus tax for both front shocks, $1243 + tax for rear, and $518 plus tax for the compressor.

What would you do?

tiktok4321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, I would go to YouTube and look and see what sort of effort it would take to do it yourself if you are mechanically ept. From what I can tell off hand, the front shocks are incorporated with the springs. I'd replace them as a unit. You can buy kits on eBay for under $150: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-2-Fro...ash=item1ece62a551:g:1egAAOSwseJZphgA&vxp=mtr

The rear should be just the strut itself. Those are a bit pricier at around $200/pair. Get them both with a compressor for $500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Escala...ash=item3ac4b5b49f:g:~BcAAOSw-itXuq6D&vxp=mtr

I would replace all at the same time. Kinda like lights and brake pads, you want an even wear on both sides of your vehicle.

Replacing these aren't crazy hard, though I haven't done it on my Tahoe. I have done it on a Camry and a Saturn - there's no doubt that the components on a sedan certainly weigh less. But the effort itself was MUCH easier than even replacing brakes. Your mileage may vary - certainly watch some YouTube videos and know your abilities first.

If having someone else do it is your only choice, I'd shop around. To get EVERYTHING done, I'd estimate around $1500 parts and labor - but I don't know the effort for the compressor. You can get all the parts yourself for $700.

OP
OP
M

Marc Marc

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but the shocks are apparently much different on the Denali Hybrid then in the links you provided, and are much more expensive. I want to retain the factory load leveler system as I pull a bass boat many miles through all types of terrain. Although I am mechanically inclined I don't have the time or facilities, so went ahead and had the dealer install the new shocks all the way around, plus the compressor so all would be new. The shocks were $520 each just for the part, and the compressor was crazy expensive at $518. I replaced the compressor myself in my last Yukon Denali (non-hybrid) for around $100 for just parts. Not sure how they have changed or why so much. Labor was reasonably priced and fair; just wish GMC wasn't so proud of their parts!