need advice on a security system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my car got busted into by what looks like a junkie other night. they broke into a couple cars through the windows and took nonsense. i got the window replaced and the placew told me the stock alarm system wont go off if they dont open the door. now...sometimes i park my car 1/2 mile away, 3/4 mile away if parking is scarce. I want a system that will go off if someone breaks a window and if its parked closed to send me a signal if possible. i dont desire the whole smart phone GPS level of stuff. just something thats gonna go off if a window breaks and is reasonable far as price and its distance to send me a heads up or sometthing to a key fob. suggestions?

2004 chevy tahoe LT

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ that

but to get notification, you'll need an aftermarket system. or maybe onstar
i am familiar w/ viper systems from back in the day. i am sure there are lots more out there now.

find a modular system & get only what you need now to maintain a budget & upgrade later if u need/want

inmypassatlife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only used Scytek 2 ways in my last 7 cars, more affordable than viper and you don't need remote start can be had for about $70 new. Add in a backup battery and a glass break and tilt sensor and you'd be looking at about $110 and you'd need an installer

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/112436290073

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321593013140

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141733103056

that looks really good. yea i dont need remote start. i just want a more secure system for my ol truck. so all those three things together would complete what im asking for? take all parts and get it installed and im good to go?

OP
OP
BlueCollarTahoe

BlueCollarTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can have a glass break sensor added to the oem alarm

i think it may be better to get a slight upgrade. ive got through a couple key fobs i tend to damage them and the buttons tend to get stuck. the factory OEM ones. something a little better may work better for me.

05DenaliBeast

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use a Viper 5906V with glass break sensor and has up to a mile range with the fob, it even sounds an alarm with vibration on the fob.

Also to give you a good idea how far the fob can work check this video out. I didn't make it though >>

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Viper with a glass break sensor. Fortunately never had to use it, but it's nice to know it's there. Like 05DenaliBeast said the fobs will vibrate and an alarm will go off as well.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I use a Viper 5906V with glass break sensor and has up to a mile range with the fob, it even sounds an alarm with vibration on the fob.

Also to give you a good idea how far the fob can work check this video out. I didn't make it though >>
I have the 5906 viper with remote start , I like it. But I need to get a replacement fob. Mine keeps in programming itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518