Need advice for my patrol vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for my stereo savvy friends. My patrol vehicle is a 2007 Chevy Tahoe. Factory radio with CD player. Sometime while I was either out hurt or in the school the radio began to malfunction. What it does is...no matter how u have the eq settings set...its super treble and only front tweeters. Now..working this summer I learned that if I leave the truck idle for a while with no AC on...the full "system" will come back (bass, mids, tweets, all speakers). So what I have been doing is...I come in for duty..fire it up first thing...close the windows and crank the heat. If it can sit for a lil like that, by the time I get a call or go patrol...the system is 100%.

With that being said...does anyone know what in the stereo is being affected by temp and is there a fix so I don't have to jump into a 200 degree truck wearing my monkey suit and liquifying under my vest (lol)? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• stereo.jpg
    stereo.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 160
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 63

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a odd one. Definitly need a new deck. Get one off eBay unlocked for cheap and quietly switch that bad boy out one night.

OP
OP
popo8

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is one explanation I received from a friend who is in the electronics business:

"Radios internal boards expand and retract with temperature which sometimes causes breaks in solder joints in boards sounds like its in the preamp output section of your radio when the truck is hot board expands and makes contact when you cool it down it contracts and loses contact causing certain speakers to cut out........time for a new radio"

Does that make sense???

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

that is very odd its your patrol vehicle is it under warranty still take it to the dealer and have them replace the factory deck

Thank You for your response.. no, she is def not under warranty anymore.

2007, with 95k +/- k on it.

---------- Post added at 10:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

That's a odd one. Definitly need a new deck. Get one off eBay unlocked for cheap and quietly switch that bad boy out one night.

Thank You for responding. Unfortunately, "quietly" would be the only way that would work, and it would be on my dime. EVERYTHING must be worked on or replaced by a professional, and not done in house (for liability I guess), and I know the Chief will not think Music is important enough...esp if you can still hear something. :(

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a really easy swap. 10 -15 minutes tops. Nobody would ever notice. Way easier than a possible repair.

OP
OP
popo8

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok... so if I just look for a used factory replacement... what are the odds another one will have the same issues. Is it common?

OP
OP
popo8

popo8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks... lookin at getting a new one as well. Then re lettering this one cause the vinyl is deteriorating.