Nav Radio worth effort?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the factory Nav radio worth the work to put one in or just better off with aftermarket?
Is the factory Nav good?
Does it announce turns over the radio, or does it kill the radio to use it?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory nav blows compared to anything aftermarket. It's slower, more clunky to use and updates are expensive if they're even supported. I did the swap to an OEM Nav head unit for everything BUT the nav function and because I got the unit so cheaply.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dub, I kinda figured as much, but wanted an experienced opinion.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 denali xl had factory nav when I bought it and it sucked. It only worked half the time because the laser disc reader was going so it didn't always register the nav disc, and the "updated" nav disc was like 2011 or something like that. Haha. No 3D views. And inputting destinations was extrenely hard because the unit was so slow. I put a clarion headunit in that came bundled with a backup cam, bluetooth, satellite, and a hard drive nav system powered by Tom tom, and the nav is 100 times better than factory nav, it only quiets the radio when giving turn by turn directions, and is completely up to date. Complete 3D views, and it is pretty easy to use.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bear, what model did you get and did it keep the factory bose, steering wheel control and rear control?
I have decided factory nav is not the sanswer, but now trying to decide weather to go full blown head replacement, or simply add a 7" external GPS to my dash....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get all the adapters, you can retain all the OEM features. The only one you can't retain is the rear seat controls. So, the passengers behind you won't be able to plug in headphones to the back of the console and listen to their own radio or satellite stations. I THINK the units such as the Rosen Carshow retain even this feature. If you're not gonna miss this function, go aftermarket.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bear, what model did you get and did it keep the factory bose, steering wheel control and rear control?
I have decided factory nav is not the sanswer, but now trying to decide weather to go full blown head replacement, or simply add a 7" external GPS to my dash....
I went with the clarion NX405. I already had the harnesses for steering wheel control and door chimes. Crutchfield I believe sells headubit kits that have everything all sold together ready to go. But a little pricey. I got mine on ebay for $500 all together with the back up cam bundled together. Way better than having a dash mounted GPS.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bear, Do you bluetooth your phone to the clarion NX405? How well does that work?
Also, was it able to work with the bose system, just plug and play with the right adapter from Crutchfield?
Seems like the way to go...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Bear, Do you bluetooth your phone to the clarion NX405? How well does that work?
Also, was it able to work with the bose system, just plug and play with the right adapter from Crutchfield?
Seems like the way to go...
Yes. It has Bluetooth but in. Auto connects to my phone or iPad every time I get in. It streams music and does calls. It's excellent. The streaming is perfect with good sound quality. Phone calls work well too. It works fine with my bose and amp. I ordered mine on ebay so I didn't get the adapter to make it plug and play. That would have been nice. But I had a shop install because I don't mess with wires. But I'm positive Crutchfield sells them as kits with the plug and play harnesses.

Archer04

Reaction score
Crutchfield does sell the harness you will need to go with the Head unit you choose, that is true. but it is not just plug and play, you will have to do some connecting of wires. There is a plug to go into the radio, and a plug to go into the existing wiring harness, but the two are not connected, you will need to match up the wires, and connect either with butt connectors, or solder the wires together. I just bought mine from crutchfield and it shipped today, and is scheduled to be delivered on wednesday. So pretty quick with getting the items to me, I am going to solder the wires together, as I prefer to solder over use a butt connector. I know that Crutchfield does include instructions with the order as well as instructions come with the adapter you get with the head unit, in my case it was the PAC RP5-GM11, which will allow me to retain all the stuff like chimes, steering wheel controls, and rear entertainment center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts