Mystery noise from beneath!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...

Heres the deal.

2002 Tahoe.
4L60E
NP246
3.73 rear, posi (gt4/g80)

Im getting a whine, almost a power steering pump kind of whine, while driving pretty much any speed.
Even the slightest pressure on the pedal, with no noticeable change in RPM, creates the noise.

At any time, I can drop it into N and it goes away. 2wd/4wd auto/4h/4l all the same.

It doesnt appear to change in pitch with engine speed nor road speed. Though it likely is and I just cant pick it out, either way, its not a very noticeable change.

I can hear it echoing off of fences and buildings when I pass with the window down.

I drained the rear diff fluid today and it was dark... like pouring a glass of Coke. There were some very small metallic particles in the drain pan.

Mostly smaller than a grain of sand, gold in color.
Refilled it and took it for a spin... still there of course.

I cant tell if it is coming from the rear end, the xfer case or maybe even the transmission.

Ive never messed with diffs before so Im in unfamiliar territory.

It seems odd that the sound can be produced with the faintest pressure on the accelerator, yet not change with increased speed...

Tranny fluid is excellent and correct level. Havent had a chance to drain the xfer case yet.

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
S

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I cant read today...

Posted in wrong section, can I get moved to the 2000-2006 forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh