My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx info on LEDs.

When you snagged that Air Raid MIT, did you do a separate drop in filter or just leave the stock air box setup and bolt in the MIT? If you used a separate drop in, what did you go with? Still happy with the MIT? Thx man.

You are welcome.

I just left the stock airbox & filter setup. Still happy with it. I don't think it yields much power---it's much more for the cool sound under heavy throttle. Gives a lot of the sound enjoyment that you get from a nice muffler when you want it, but virtually silent when you don't. ha!

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
Go to this YouTube and skip to 9:00 for the LEDs:

Ive seen this video before. Heres the deal the ONLY way an LED headlight can be effective in a reflector type housing is if it has an adjustable beam.

kwOH

Banned
Reaction score
^^^ I couldn't believe they were trying those in a reflector.
Not saying I know everything about headlights, but everyone knows the standard for greatness has been the HID projector for a while, and with the LED emerging, they have been getting better and better, as far as simple bulb swaps into reflector style headlight housings, wether oem or aftermarket, some say the placement of the chips can “closely replicate” the standard halogens, but the only actual way to be more effective than a halogen in a reflector is with an adjustable beam.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression they work best in a projector but I'm even less of an expert than you for sure.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys know way more about this than I do, but so far I'm happy with these LEDs.

Here are two unedited images from about 7am this morning. One image shows the headlight beam pattern on my garage door from about 15 ft away (driveway slants a bit), and other image is when I parked at work. I gotta find a clear, white wall sometime....

I'm no expert on headlights or lighting technology but I like these LEDs. Beam cutoff is good, spread is good-----both significantly better than with halogen bulbs. No glare towards pedestrians or other drivers. Much longer & brighter throw.

As good as HID? No. Better than halogen bulbs? Yes, and are 100% plug-n-play.

I know there are projector retrofit kits out there for around $1K, but I'm not spending that on headlights when I can get maybe 80% (??) of that performance for under $150 simply by adding good-quality LED bulbs with integrated drivers. Simple, easy, and not expensive.

IMG_20171101_071443.jpg IMG_20171101_070309.jpg

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do know that HID's in reflector housings don't do much other than blind oncoming drivers and was under the impression that LED's were the same but I guess I'm wrong. I do remember reading awhile back, after Vanquish Auto became a supporting vender, that they were saying they don't recommend LED for low beam applications , only high beams, but I'm not sure if they were talking projector or reflector. I'm so confused.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know that HID's in reflector housings don't do much other than blind oncoming drivers and was under the impression that LED's were the same but I guess I'm wrong. I do remember reading awhile back, after Vanquish Auto became a supporting vender, that they were saying they don't recommend LED for low beam applications , only high beams, but I'm not sure if they were talking projector or reflector. I'm so confused.

I had always thought that reflector housings and HID and/or LED were a recipe for disaster, but it seems that newer designs in LED bulbs have greatly improved the performance. Less than 6 months ago I swore that I'd never install an LED bulb in a reflector housing, but watching that YouTube made me wonder......and not much later, I figured I'd try it.
I'm glad I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne