My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed LED headlight low beam and DRL bulbs.

Shot of headlights shows incandescent on passenger side and LED on driver side. Pattern on garage wall seems pretty darn sharp but it's daylight so can't be sure.
Will view after dark.
IMG_20171008_115336.jpg IMG_20171008_122415.jpg

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I couldn't get any photos to show the beam pattern yet. But, WOW, driving to work this morning at 6:30am in the dark rain was a very different experience with these LED low beams.

Huge light output but very well focused. Beam hits the bumper/trunk of car in front of me but does not hit above that point, while street signs almost glow from a great distance.

Very pleased. Will try to get photos soon.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your headlights are reflectors aren't they? I wonder why Vanquish recommends that LED's aren't good for low beams in projectors.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your headlights are reflectors aren't they? I wonder why Vanquish recommends that LED's aren't good for low beams in projectors.

Yes, my headlamp housings are factory reflector-style.

I had always thought that LEDs are bad for this style housing because many bulb designs produce poor beam patterns with tons of scatter. But newer LED bulb designs offer increased light output and very good beam pattern & good cutoff relative to the factory incandescent bulbs, all in a kit that is simpler to install and less expensive to buy than an HID kit, which is still the gold standard for high-performance headlight technology.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see nighttime shots. Can't recall offhand, are these the H11/H16 bulb package?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, my headlamp housings are factory reflector-style.

I had always thought that LEDs are bad for this style housing because many bulb designs produce poor beam patterns with tons of scatter. But newer LED bulb designs offer increased light output and very good beam pattern & good cutoff relative to the factory incandescent bulbs, all in a kit that is simpler to install and less expensive to buy than an HID kit, which is still the gold standard for high-performance headlight technology.
HID in reflectors are not a good idea due to the fact they blind oncoming drivers.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested to see nighttime shots. Can't recall offhand, are these the H11/H16 bulb package?

Yes, H11/H16. Here is the link: https://headlightrevolution.com/supernova-v-3-led-headlights-h11-h16-bulbs/

Forgot to mention that the LED beam patterns were properly aimed after just installing the bulbs into my factory housings---I did not have to manually aim. I had figured that I'd have to orient them downward a little, but that was not the case. Could not be more plug-n-play.
I'm impressed.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx info on LEDs.

When you snagged that Air Raid MIT, did you do a separate drop in filter or just leave the stock air box setup and bolt in the MIT? If you used a separate drop in, what did you go with? Still happy with the MIT? Thx man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny