My Resto-Mod Odyssey - '08 Tahoe LT3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to keep up on mine with some white lithum grease... i freed it up eith a large flat blade screwdriver and kept spraying it. But, every few months i have to do the same thing, mine is shot and almost looks there should be a bushing, metal or plastic, that is completely gone...

I hear that. I'm just kinda surprised it seized up without a sign or sound of issue beforehand.

I'll try the screwdriver to free it, then soak it with some silicone based PB Blaster that I've got on my tool chest. If that'll get her going I'll just lube every few weeks.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got home and doused that pin and roller with this silicone. Didn't even touch it with a tool yet and it's free and rolling again.
Cool stuff.
IMG_20170526_163836.jpg IMG_20170526_164024.jpg

NGAneer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, well, well......My driver's door is suddenly popping/clunking like a mofo as I swing the door from fully open to shut. Looks like the hinge roller bearing is seized and needs either a serious lubing or replacing.

Crossing my fingers that some penetrating lube will break her free and get her spinning again, as I DO NOT dig the idea of replacing that assembly.

Film at eleven...
Penetrating lube to break it loose and then a tube of white lithium grease will keep it quiet.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Penetrating lube to break it loose and then a tube of white lithium grease will keep it quiet.

Aye, sir. ;)

Mine made a light pop a few months ago so I lubed all of them with Kroil. Apparently, this is common with these so I'll make lubing them a regular maintenance item.

Roger that, sir. :cool:

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A supply of new door clips arrived today and I'm practically drooling to get into both front doors to do some minor cosmetic and auditory surgery.

IMG_20170531_183316.jpg

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had been thinking about new tires for weeks and kinda daydreaming about some beefier A/Ts. Discovered a huge nail in one of my rear tires last night, so since all four were getting down to a very minimal tread I bit the bullet.

Reality set in. I don't go off-road more than hitting wet grass or packed sand or a gravel parking lot now and then. Got a deal on Continental Cross contact LX20, so went for them.

Only time will tell the real deal, but first impression is that they're super smooth & quiet. Nothing fancy to look at, but who cares.

IMG_20170606_182143.jpg

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way too early to render any opinion on these tires that I can stand behind long-term, but one thing is for sure: these tires are smooth and QUIET. Almost eerily so.

Once I get up to cruising speed and have the windows closed, it's literally like I'm floating on a cloud. Not floaty, just nice. Still getting used to the lack of road noise----the only exterior sound I pick up is wind noise.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rode in the passenger seat for a few miles today and realized that the seat cushion feels way more comfortable than the driver's seat cushion. Makes sense in that the driver's seat cushion has seen a lot more 'butt miles' (lol) and is probably pretty worn out.

Gotta look into replacing driver's seat cushion....

IMG_20170522_183240.jpg

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been experimenting with lighting. Converted my garage bulbs from "soft white" to "daylight" (5000k) fluorescent, and the brightness and color rendering is lightyears ahead. Pun intended.

I'd been thinking that soft white would be better for my interior LEDS and installed them a month or two ago. Didn't want bluish light. But installed cool white LED SMD from Idjmtoy today and the brightness and color rendering are damn good. Lesson learned.

This pic does no justice.

IMG_20170626_175326.jpg