My BlackBear post

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few of these posts, and they were useful in making my choice to buy the autocal.
So i will walk through the process and give my thoughts.
I have an 04 Z71 tahoe. Airaid intake and corvette servo. As far as i know stock otherwise. About 180,000 miles.
I ordered the autocal on Friday morning 3/23. Pretty quick and painless.
Got notification of my orders and shipment the same day. It arrived at my office Monday 3/26.

I read the instructions on BlackBears site about 5 times, as tech instruction comprehension is not my strong suit.

I went out to do the logging that isnt driving first.
Here is where a piece of friendly advice comes in, if you are like me and get confused with technical instructions. Either print off the instructions, or have a laptop handy. For me it was good to refer back.
I hooked up the autocal as instructed, and got 2 error readings. The webpage has an explanation and directs you to call with issues. I started the truck, shut it down and tried again, this time was a success, autocal retrieved and saved the data.

A few hours later i decided to go out and do the driving log. They request 20-30 minutes of varied conditions of driving.
I dont drive my tahoe that much anymore, let alone really get on it. To do the logging i did some city street driving and then got on the highway to hammer it a bit. My first thoughts were that since i never really drive it hard, the pulls i did above 3500 rpm were more impressive than i remembered anyways.

I logged about 30 minutes, saved the file and went in to upload.
First thought, the EFI dashboard is a little intimidating. But the BlackBear site does a good job of telling you how to move the files, etc.

I sent the files off last night and will be updating with my thoughts once installed. I am sure like anything, using the software and autocal a few times, i will get more comfortable and remember how without looking at the instructions 20 times.

I am optimistic, but realistic. I have a 15 year old truck with a decent amount of miles. I am not the first owner, so god only knows how it was treated. But other than a few minor things here and there, the truck has been reliable and comfortable to drive. I was impressed with the result of the vette servo alone, so i cant imagine that the autocal purchase will let me down.

To be continued.....

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I'm hoping I could buy this one day, ir even better, get the in person tune. Funds hold me back tho. In it for the progress.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its been a week. I havent seen a tune file yet. But I am not worried, if it was easy everyone would be tuning. My guess is that its taking a bit because they determined that a previous owner snuck in a hot cam......right.
Anyways, the only update so far. So when you order. Blackbear offers to send you the autocal in a nice case.
The only reason i opted not to, is im pretty cheap. And... i had a few cases i bought on sale at harbor freight that do the same thing.
So, here is that.

Case.jpg

TM98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So its been a week. I havent seen a tune file yet. But I am not worried, if it was easy everyone would be tuning. My guess is that its taking a bit because they determined that a previous owner snuck in a hot cam......right.
Anyways, the only update so far. So when you order. Blackbear offers to send you the autocal in a nice case.
The only reason i opted not to, is im pretty cheap. And... i had a few cases i bought on sale at harbor freight that do the same thing.
So, here is that.

View attachment 196090
Which case did you get? I bought the small one thinking it would work but was a little too small.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The small one. If I did it again I'd go bigger. But it works as is

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah sometimes it’s takes a few days for them to get everything ironed out but it’s not too bad. My AutoCAL works as expected. I need to email them again though and see what’s going on with my fans again. Lol

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got an email from Justin today. No tunes. But he let me know about a few things which is good.
I have a vacuum leak , significant were his words. so i will look into that tonight. Then one of my log files was corrupted and not usable. I was worried about when i got the error message.
So a few things to look into, then a bit more logging then sending more files back.

OP
OP
cmc76

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say, impressive customer service. As i was looking under the hood, trading pictures of what i was looking for by email. Justin helped out the whole way.
I found a cracked rubber 90 degree fitting that was likely the cause of the vacuum leak. I tried to put together a fix, but ended up having to get the fitting next day to me.
Should have the fitting here today to i can get it on, and collect new logs saturday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys