my 2013 Yukon, now rough and ready!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does your steering feel?

I just picked up my 2008 Z71 with the same RC lift, and man I had a State Trooper beside me on the highway and I was certain I was going to be pulled over for DUI. Truck is EVERYWHERE at 60MPH.

I've installed out of the box kits from 6 to 9" on Silverados of all years, and never had feeling while driving.

Also, does anyone have links to longer rear lower control arms (trailing arms)? I can not for the life of me find them for my 2008 burban. My rear wheels are way far forward in the rear wheel well.

Last edited:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
@battlewagon

I really don't like that kit as it stretches the front end and moves rear wheels forward. Get some rear 1.5" wheel spacers to even up track width. That should help with wandering feel.

Special order these parts from summit racing. It's Fabtech upper and lower arms with poly bushings. Part # FT20360BK, FT20361BK, FT20362BK & FT20299.

You could also get pro comp rear drop brackets if you don't want longer arms. They will drop the trailing arms from the frame down which centers the wheels.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@battlewagon

I really don't like that kit as it stretches the front end and moves rear wheels forward. Get some rear 1.5" wheel spacers to even up track width. That should help with wandering feel.

Special order these parts from summit racing. It's Fabtech upper and lower arms with poly bushings. Part # FT20360BK, FT20361BK, FT20362BK & FT20299.

You could also get pro comp rear drop brackets if you don't want longer arms. They will drop the trailing arms from the frame down which centers the wheels.

Thanks for the reply. I see your location; born and raised in Raleigh. Miss it daily.

My brief search doesn't reveal those procomp drop brackets sold individually. If you can find me a link, I'll buy you a beer next time im in the 919. That would be ideal. I bought the truck, wheels, tires, lift, installation all at once, and am tapped out. NORCAL SS has me set up for a nice pair of adjustable control arms, but in reality at this point, financially, i just need to get the rear wheels squared up, so the cheapest solution is the best right now. May buy his control arms in the future to have a nicer overall set up.

Thank you for taking the time to get me the parts for the upper and lower arms as well. Will liklely get from NORCAL if I go that full replacement route just to support a vendor.

Thanks sir.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
@battlewagon yeah dude Raleigh is awesome and love it! Moved from VA down to it and haven't missed anything except smith mountain lake.

Anyhow yeah you can get pro comp drop brackets. Have to call and special order from summit. Part # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276.

Call up summit and have them price out each kit to see which is cheaper the Fabtech longer arms or pro comp drops. Ask for special order department then give them numbers to search. Takes a few mins but good thing about those companies is they sell individual parts from any kit.

OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
I'm OUT! Had to design and build a road but I'm out lol.

Funny thing about the winch related link... If everything would of went smoothly at the beginning of all this it wouldn't have been a big deal.

When I sent my buddy out the second time I had him head over to 4wheel parts. Had him pick up the Warn 12000 zeon winch and all the goodies to go with it. The first store had half the stuff and he ran across town (Houston) to get the rest. It took all freakin day.

I called my buddy b/c I had one of those "I'm spending a buttload of money unseen" moments. Just didn't have a good feeling. I told him to make sure they made sure everything was in working order and bolted together. No shit he calls me back from the other store saying the zeon didn't bolt up to the hitch mount. The exact same products in the link.

They exchange it out for the Schmitty 12000 pounder that bolted up fine. Whew!! Close call as I was adamant they know this is a one shot deal as conditions are going south. So I have the winch, carrier, quick connect extension kit to run power to the back and a slew of other crap they talked him into. Didn't say anything b/c he thought it'd help.

He finally makes it out to me. Conditions are still favorable (pic from before) as he is attaching the rope and I'm looking at how to get power to this sucker. Holy crap, the quick connect kit to the rear was how much?? Lol ok, beggars can't be choosers right. Ok, mush onwards! No shit, the 200 dollar quick connect kit doesn't come with the attachment to connect to the actual winch.... WTF? You can buy that separately.

They sold him everything under the sun but that and managed to render the winch useless. By the next morning the whole darn attack would be a fools errand via winch. Time to ride it out and think of another plan. It kills me that I asked I don't know how many times to make sure the entire system was sound. Thanks!!

Now to return all this crap and figure out what I want and how I want to rig it. A decision easier made not balls deep in mud.

As far as the front hitch is concerned... That's what I've always ran. Usually on aftermarket bumpers though with a hitch slot. It's always worked well for me. Really good chance I go that way again. Pull from the front or the rear and you don't have to tote it around all the time. Plus I'm not a fan of having a lot of weight outside the wheelbase all the time. I have found over the years that I'm not a fan of nosediving while breaking... A welded on front hitch is what I ran on my old Tahoe.

On a more serious note, have you looked at the winch mounts for receiver hitches? A front hitch could probably be fabb'd up to put the receiver behind your front license plate and that would allow you to use one winch as a front or rear winch setup.

https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/multi_mount.jsp

OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
Tire pressure and rear wheel spacers will solve 90% of that. However, not wanting to spend all day filling my tires I drove back on less inflation. Seemed stable enough but that may have been in my head. Other than passing on uneven back roads I really only have one road that's an issue for me. The spacers and inflation fixed it for the most part. I haven't driven it yet with the inflation numbers I like though. Here's to wishin lol

How does your steering feel?

I just picked up my 2008 Z71 with the same RC lift, and man I had a State Trooper beside me on the highway and I was certain I was going to be pulled over for DUI. Truck is EVERYWHERE at 60MPH.

I've installed out of the box kits from 6 to 9" on Silverados of all years, and never had feeling while driving.

Also, does anyone have links to longer rear lower control arms (trailing arms)? I can not for the life of me find them for my 2008 burban. My rear wheels are way far forward in the rear wheel well.

OP
OP
Snipershrk

Snipershrk

Reaction score
:grd:

@battlewagon yeah dude Raleigh is awesome and love it! Moved from VA down to it and haven't missed anything except smith mountain lake.

Anyhow yeah you can get pro comp drop brackets. Have to call and special order from summit. Part # 90-1785, 90-1790, 90-6276.

Call up summit and have them price out each kit to see which is cheaper the Fabtech longer arms or pro comp drops. Ask for special order department then give them numbers to search. Takes a few mins but good thing about those companies is they sell individual parts from any kit.

battlewagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ordered rear wheel spacers, and the Pro Comp Drop brackets, thanks for the great info and part numbers. They do not carry Fabtech they said.

Spacers here tomorrow, Drop brackets won't be shipped until the 18th unfortunately.

Talking to a very good friend, who is a GM master tech, and has done probably 10 lifts on his own vehicles plus dozens and dozens for shops, said he doesn't see the wheel spacers doing much for help with my floating steering issue. This truck feels so unsafe I haven't let my wife drive it since lifting. Going to drop back off at suspension shop and have them inspect OEM parts, like pittman and idler arms, etc.

I was raised off Capital Blvd and Buffalo Road area, and then spent 15 years old + in the 'nicer' side of town in North Raleigh. Was average when my parents bought the house, but damn Raleigh real estate is out of control. Their neighborhood became the 'desirable' hood for outside the beltline. They bought the house for 179, and now it is worth about 450. I turned down a job offer to come home because the pay cut + insane cost of real estate meant I would never own a home again :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442