My 2012 Tahoe has a place for a secondary battery.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerryKing

Reaction score
My 2012 Tahoe has a place for a secondary battery.

Can someone point to How-To install / wire a second battery??

Thanks!

SideWayZHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just go positive to positive and negative to negative/or negative to frame or from existing battery. Make sure the wire you use is rated for the amperage your alt is putting out.

Last edited:

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this an option only for ppv vehicles? I have only had dual batteries on my diesel trucks.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it on my 09 LT. I had a roll of blue shop towels bungeed there but they kept getting wet.

jeffbco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this an option only for ppv vehicles? I have only had dual batteries on my diesel trucks.
Not an option on the gas vehicles (usually standard on diesel because of the starter requirements of high compression engine). What OP is talking about is the presence of a second battery tray (although empty). As already mentioned some folks add a second battery and connect as described.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not an option on the gas vehicles (usually standard on diesel because of the starter requirements of high compression engine). What OP is talking about is the presence of a second battery tray (although empty). As already mentioned some folks add a second battery and connect as described.

Yes, it IS an option for the PPV. It's usually a 730 CCA auxiliary battery. GM lists auxiliary battery cables, I believe they connect the two together, but since they list the auxiliary battery as 'isolated', there may be some relays required. If it's like our Caprice 9C1, it's a separate battery, used to power the ancillary power options, and not start the car.

IIRC, all Tahoes come with two trays, but you only get the battery and cabling if your truck has the optional auxiliary battery. I don't remember what the SEO option is for that.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
One version on ppv/ssv is a parallel setup where both batts are simply connected together, alt charges both at once. The other option was isolated so that 1 would start, both would charge but when ignition was off they were isolated. I have all the options codes/diagrams somewhere and if i find it ill post it. I did the parallel setup for my plow for more power. Looks all factory got the batt cables from gm off amazon. Neg goes right to alt bracket for ground and positive runs down the front of the motor and connects direct to starter.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
My 2011 SSV came with two batteries. Crazy secondary wiring harness was installed at the factory. Second battery is for light bars, strobes, radios, etc. Best part is that you can give a jump start from either side of the vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uuhh