my 2004 Z71 journal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... Maybe the stepper then. Usually the sender is dead shorted and returning a full 5v, for a needle pegged at 80. Or else locked open/broken wire, for a return of 0v and a needle at 0. I suppose you never know with a sensor... Could be intermittent. If it were me, I'd change it before you yank the cluster so you know whether or not you need to mess with the gauge. Just my .02

if I pull the cluster I'm changing all motors anyway but it's sound like the sensor isn't a big deal to change so I'll do that

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good place to start. Its cheap. You'll need a swivel and I think an oddball deep well socket. Ill check the size in the morning. 15 minute job tops.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good place to start. Its cheap. You'll need a swivel and I think an oddball deep well socket. Ill check the size in the morning. 15 minute job tops.

15-min with the perfect combination of socket and extensions.

I went the advised route using the Lisle socket that oreilly auto parts had on the shelf for this specific application; just picked it up same time as the OPS. Then I exchanged it for something else on $10-store credit next time I needed to go in & buy something. I can't say wether or not any of my standard sockets would've fit in that location but 1/2" drive setup & that slim socket sure made it painless to do this R & R absolutely blind.

Last edited:

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score

It's 1 1/16" deepwell. Use a 8"ish extension and a u joint. Done in 15 minutes. Guys talk about some special thin wall socket..... No need.

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
after months of looking I finally bought a tahoe, 2004 Z71 with 110k. not in the color I wanted but it was only $2500. after a couple days of driving I've noticed a bunch of small things about it. because this is my first ever GM vehicle I have tons of dumb questions and concerns. so any help would be much appreciated.

has a check engine light on for p0171 and p0174 and abs light that only comes. on when the truck is moving

cluster speedo sometimes works and oil doesn't work at all. 1 led appears to be out and PRND321 is dim.

the radio makes a noise like if I'm inserting a cd and it's trying to read it. this happens every time I start the car and it happens for about 20 seconds. also the little cd light is blinking all the time

when I turn on the rear air, it makes a loud noise like if the fan it no good.

the parking brake doesn't do a dam thing. it has no resistance when stepped on and I have to pull it up by hand.

steering wheel make a noise like if something is broken when fully locked, has about a 2-3 inches of play in it, only the right hand buttons work and none light up.

has hard start problems after adding gas.

the driver side door is sagging. it looks like the hinges are loose. I have to lift the door to close it. doesn't lock with the remote or using the switch on the door. heated seats works when it wants and only the back gets hot.

gas cover is loose and swings open whenever it wants.

other than those things I noticed I'm. still gonna change all the fluids and plugs/wires and filters ect. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off. it will be primarily a family vehicle for probably the next 3-6 months then will be my work truck
These small things are going to add up real quick-thats why you paid 2500.I would get it saftey checked you said the abs light is on and something sounds broken in the steering wheel.Also hard to start after putting fuel in it.Those are some issues i would get resolved before i stuck my family in her.

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just had my p0171 and p0174 codes check out and was told I have 2 leaking injectors on each side and I can't replace just the o-rings that I need new injectors all together

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the brand matter? or should I go with ac Delco or delphi

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I' Not really sure. I'd think both are good brands. I'd check out the reviews.
the pic u posted was from a Chinese company selling on Amazon and has no reviews. that's what I meant

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues