my 2004 Z71 journal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after months of looking I finally bought a tahoe, 2004 Z71 with 110k. not in the color I wanted but it was only $2500. after a couple days of driving I've noticed a bunch of small things about it. because this is my first ever GM vehicle I have tons of dumb questions and concerns. so any help would be much appreciated.

has a check engine light on for p0171 and p0174 and abs light that only comes. on when the truck is moving

cluster speedo sometimes works and oil doesn't work at all. 1 led appears to be out and PRND321 is dim.

the radio makes a noise like if I'm inserting a cd and it's trying to read it. this happens every time I start the car and it happens for about 20 seconds. also the little cd light is blinking all the time

when I turn on the rear air, it makes a loud noise like if the fan it no good.

the parking brake doesn't do a dam thing. it has no resistance when stepped on and I have to pull it up by hand.

steering wheel make a noise like if something is broken when fully locked, has about a 2-3 inches of play in it, only the right hand buttons work and none light up.

has hard start problems after adding gas.

the driver side door is sagging. it looks like the hinges are loose. I have to lift the door to close it. doesn't lock with the remote or using the switch on the door. heated seats works when it wants and only the back gets hot.

gas cover is loose and swings open whenever it wants.

other than those things I noticed I'm. still gonna change all the fluids and plugs/wires and filters ect. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off. it will be primarily a family vehicle for probably the next 3-6 months then will be my work truck

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to get a new key cut and key fob but don't know which fob to buy. the one I have no is an aftermarket one

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wanted to get a new key cut and key fob but don't know which fob to buy. the one I have no is an aftermarket one

The only things I can help with is the gauge cluster and key fob. If you go to YouTube (I'm sure you have) and search gm cluster repair there are a ton of videos on how to fix the gauge cluster. I just had to fix my PRNDL light and that was done by fixing a couple solder joints. But yours sounds like you need stepper motors as well. It looks like an easy job if you're comfortable soldering.

As for the key fob when I got my denali I only got 1 key and no key fobs. I went on Amazon and searched for key fobs and got 2 for $15 and programmed them myself. Again thanks to a YouTube video. Took 2 minutes.

I'm sure others can help with the rest of the stuff tho.

Congrats on the tahoe!

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only things I can help with is the gauge cluster and key fob. If you go to YouTube (I'm sure you have) and search gm cluster repair there are a ton of videos on how to fix the gauge cluster. I just had to fix my PRNDL light and that was done by fixing a couple solder joints. But yours sounds like you need stepper motors as well. It looks like an easy job if you're comfortable soldering.

As for the key fob when I got my denali I only got 1 key and no key fobs. I went on Amazon and searched for key fobs and got 2 for $15 and programmed them myself. Again thanks to a YouTube video. Took 2 minutes.

I'm sure others can help with the rest of the stuff tho.

Congrats on the tahoe!

when I check ebay for the key fob I see it says it only fits certain part numbers so I didn't wanna get one and have to deal with returning it

Screenshot_20171231-111720.png

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
after months of looking I finally bought a tahoe, 2004 Z71 with 110k. not in the color I wanted but it was only $2500. after a couple days of driving I've noticed a bunch of small things about it. because this is my first ever GM vehicle I have tons of dumb questions and concerns. so any help would be much appreciated.

has a check engine light on for p0171 and p0174 and abs light that only comes. on when the truck is moving

Abs light is probably the sensor in the hub assembly.

cluster speedo sometimes works and oil doesn't work at all. 1 led appears to be out and PRND321 is dim.

Oil could be the sender or the stepper. What does the needle do? PRND dim is common. Lots of info on the fix if you search.

the radio makes a noise like if I'm inserting a cd and it's trying to read it. this happens every time I start the car and it happens for about 20 seconds. also the little cd light is blinking all the time

CD stuck in there.

when I turn on the rear air, it makes a loud noise like if the fan it no good.

the parking brake doesn't do a dam thing. it has no resistance when stepped on and I have to pull it up by hand.

Probably a broken Y-cable.

steering wheel make a noise like if something is broken when fully locked, has about a 2-3 inches of play in it, only the right hand buttons work and none light up.

has hard start problems after adding gas.

the driver side door is sagging. it looks like the hinges are loose. I have to lift the door to close it. doesn't lock with the remote or using the switch on the door. heated seats works when it wants and only the back gets hot.

gas cover is loose and swings open whenever it wants.

Spring is broken or gone.

other than those things I noticed I'm. still gonna change all the fluids and plugs/wires and filters ect. I plan on keeping this truck till the wheels fall off. it will be primarily a family vehicle for probably the next 3-6 months then will be my work truck

OP
OP
H

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the radio tells me there is no cd in it and as for the oil needle it just sits all the way to the left at 0 and just sits there

cmc76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radio likely has a CD stuck in it. Mine does the exact same. And I know its jammed up. I've been shopping for new.
For the oil. Easiest is the pressure sender. Cheap part. 15 minute fix with the socket and swivel.
The codes. I would have to look. But lean bank is common. And intake gaskets is the common fix.

I've got the same. 04 z71. Minimal issues with 185k on it

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The radio likely has a CD stuck in it. Mine does the exact same. And I know its jammed up. I've been shopping for new.
For the oil. Easiest is the pressure sender. Cheap part. 15 minute fix with the socket and swivel.
The codes. I would have to look. But lean bank is common. And intake gaskets is the common fix.

I've got the same. 04 z71. Minimal issues with 185k on it

I thought the oil sender was the common problem if the gauge is pegged to 80?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01