My 02 tahoe transformation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OhioHoe

OhioHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris, it's just a static drop. It doesn't have air suspension, although I would love to do it. So yeah, it rides at this height all the time. And I can still turn full lock both directions without rubbing, but I did lose a small bit of turning radius with the lowering spindles. It isn't enough for me to hardly notice though. It actually sat lower before but when we removed the rear bumper and tow receiver it brought the rear up about 3/4 of an inch which sucks because it looked perfect before lol

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
That's some dedication there. Some people would buy a new tahoe instead of work with a rusted one, turned out great. I've been debating painting my roof black the way you did.. it looks so nice! Love the two tone also!

cain

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks good. How much of a pain was it to replace the rear door panel and rocker? Is that 1 or 2 patch panels? I've got the same issue on my 2000 NBS. Depending upon the difficulty and/or cost will depend on me stepping up to an NNBS. I love my Tahoe though.

OP
OP
OhioHoe

OhioHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cain, I actually didn't replace the rockers, I only replaced the two rear lower quarter panels. There was some rust in one of the rear door jambs, and some on the bottom of the rocker. We just cut these pieces out, sandblasted them, welded in some new metal, and then welded them back in. I didn't replace the rockers because there was only one small spot of rust on the one side. Replacing the rockers on these trucks isn't cheap. We've done a few at the shop and the replacement rockers are quite expensive, plus they take a lot of labor to install the right way. It's up to you whether to replace them or not, if you really like the truck then I say go for it!

SmileB44Death

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then we got all the glass back in, I installed some black housing depo headlights and some black housing turn signals, we got the smooth vent caps painted, rollpan installed, tinted the taillights, but the right way this time. I got the front windows tinted 25% to match the other windows, and we put a red vinyl pinstripe around the silver stripe to help seperate the colors.
View attachment 155975
View attachment 155976
View attachment 155977
I got some morimoto 6000k 55watt HID's for the headlights, led switchbacks for the parking lights, some white 194's, and white led's for the DRL's
View attachment 155978
I just liked the colors in this pic lol
View attachment 155979
And then we had to deal with the POS ss bumper that I bought off of ebay. It was supposed to be one of the urethane ones, but it came, and it's f'in fiberglass. It wasn't the best mold either. They're supposed to fit with the top bumper cap still on but this one wouldn't fit unless we removed it. We had to fight and pull as hard as we could to get it to fit on the bumper, and ended up having to put a large cut in it to relieve some of the pressure. Anyways, we got that fiberglassed back up, and smoothed it out the best we could. I'll probably end up buying the street scene one later down the road. Anyways, I bought a set of 03 silverado fog lights and made them fit on the bumper by cutting down the ducts on the bumper and using different mounting holes for them. I put some HID bulbs in them that I took out of a set of jaguar headlights we had in the storage room.
Here's how the fogs look from behind
View attachment 155980
The bumper actually turned out pretty good for what we had to work with
View attachment 155981
The silverado fog lights ended up fitting in the hole fairly well
View attachment 155982
Painted the bowtie in the metallic silver
View attachment 155983
Then I scored a set of escalade running boards, woohoo! So we painted the end caps
View attachment 155984
Then we painted the grille, which I also forgot to get a picture of, but that was the last piece! We painted the grille on Thursday, and Friday we put it on and were finished! I drove it Friday for the first time and absolutely love it. Turns a lot of heads and looks just like i've always wanted it to. I've been lurking on this forum for about two years and got most of my ideas from you guys. So let me know what you think! The weather hasn't been great this weekend but I took some pics when the sun peeked out a few times. Anyways, here are some finished pics.
View attachment 155985
View attachment 155986
View attachment 155987
View attachment 155988
View attachment 155989
View attachment 155990
View attachment 155991
View attachment 155992
View attachment 155993
View attachment 155994
View attachment 155995
View attachment 155996
View attachment 155997

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:20 PM ----------

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! And no, we didn't shave the roof rack because I got an escalade roof rack that I was planning to put on it. However, I'm thinking that it actually looks better without it so I kind of wish we had shaved it. And I agree with the rollpan thing, I wish I would have gotten a weld-in one.
You must know a lot about so I have a question! I’m going to paint my bumpers on my tahoe with spray cans any tips/suggestions or what brand I should buy to make it black and glossy?

Gyrene84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's a beautiful looking truck. Great job!

The only rust on mine is on the wheel wells inside the engine bay, not sure why.