Musty smell from air vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rscalfani

Reaction score
Hey all. I am getting a slightly musty smell coming from my interior air vents. A friend of mine says it's normal because they don't have a cabin air filter.

A: Is that true?

B: How do I fix that?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
There is a kit to add the cabin air filter... easy install. Also the dealers had a software update that turns your recirculation button off everytime the key is cycled to help dry up the moisture left in the evap box. Or the afterblow option can be turned on as mentioned above.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, you should have the afterblow feature enabled first. Trying to filter out/mask the smell doesn't do anything to fix the cause of the smell, which could get worse. In the meantime, you can try running your heater for 2-3 minutes before you park the car for the night. Also, make sure the evaporator box drain tube isn't clogged.

OP
OP
rscalfani

rscalfani

Reaction score
Really, you should have the afterblow feature enabled first. Trying to filter out/mask the smell doesn't do anything to fix the cause of the smell, which could get worse. In the meantime, you can try running your heater for 2-3 minutes before you park the car for the night. Also, make sure the evaporator box drain tube isn't clogged.

I don’t have a way to enable afterblow myself. Also could you point me in the right direction for the evap box drain tube?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a way to enable afterblow myself. Also could you point me in the right direction for the evap box drain tube?

It's something that has to be enabled in BCM programming using a TechII or whatever the newer thing is called, so a dealership or so-equipped mechanic shop is required.

I don't recall if the drain tube has a hose that runs down with it's exit near the frame rail or if it's more like a "stub" sticking through the firewall. If you were to park over concrete and idle with the A/C on full blast for about 5 minutes, you should have a puddle of water under the passenger side. You can look directly up from that puddle to see where the water is coming from- look for a hose or a stub protruding from the firewall. It's gonna be under the drier canister if you were viewing from above. It may still be draining, but be partially clogged so some water remains in the evaporator housing and mildews (molds).

This video should help:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Afterblow.

I've always known that this was a thing, but I never suspected it would ever have anything to do with automotive HVAC. :)

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had our Cadillacs afterblow turned on, it took care of the slight musty smell we had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim Quigley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always sprayed fabreeze into the front where the air intakes into your system just below your wipers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts