must have tools

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to get specific there will be 8/10mm for small bolts & 14/15/18/19mm on up for your bigger bolts & parts like BJs. Keep a medium sized crescent wrench with a spare pipe or bar that you know for a fact will slide over that crescent & your ratchets for leverage. At the least I keep small 3-ton bottle jack, it doesn't take up any space. I also keep a 4x4 block of wood to set it on. It has taken the place of the factory emergency jack but doubles as a mobile press, which is where it has seen the majority of its duty.

Always have a long extension & univ' joint for 1/4 ratchet to get at hose clamps in tight spots.

Set of Torx & Allen bits with adapter for ratchet/driver. These kits are much better than having 1/2-doz dif't screwdrivers.

Quality penetrating spray

Gorilla tape or equivalent

Roll of rags

Always make sure you have the proper tools to release your spare tire and go through the routine to determine if the mechanism works. When I bought my last truck it was missing the last leg of the bar which both adapts to the jack AND the winch for the spare. I was unable to remove the spare tire until I went to a junkyard and happened to find the necessary piece from a junker. This is a big 1. Used vehicles that we reg' purchase will be missing all kinds of necessary $hit that we don't go for until we need it in emergency. Be prepared. Great thread by the way.

Edit: @Doubeleive def gotta have a nice, big vice grip on-deck. Another 1 of those universal "must-haves" that should be in every truck.

OP: I don't know if you have the subwoofer in the very back, left-hand side but mine is just a box with trap door. I stuff all kinds of bars and pipes in there with the factory tire tools.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joe, what do we use the 19mm for? I put it on my Amazon wishlist and they showed up in my stocking for Christmas. But now I cannot remember why I wanted them!

15mm and 18mm are for the rear calipers on GMT900s, probably the front too; don't remember. See a pattern there? LOL

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver

The torsion bar adj bolt is 18. The TREs are either 18 or 19. Shock mounting bolts. Most upper BJs. Just off the top of my head. I think the control arm bolts will be 18, too.

my new HF TRE seperator takes a 19 is prob why I said it.

And indeed don't get caught w/out a 15mm

Last edited:

02_Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just have a basic 20 piece 3/8 drive ratchet set, a couple screwdrivers and a multimeter.

Garandman

Reaction score
We check the lug nuts every time we have tires serviced, as they are usually overtorqued. We back them off and torque them. Tahoe is pretty high - 140 ft lbs - so a breaker bar or pipe section may be helpful.

If we are towing the boat we bring a full tool set.

• LED flashlight. We change all the batteries at New year
  • 30’ recovery strap with two large anchor shackles
  • 5” needle nose pliers
  • 10” water pump pliers
  • Vice grips
  • 10” adjustable
  • Large flat and Phillips screw drivers
  • Stubby flat and Phillips screw drivers
  • 2lb hand sledge hammer
  • Hacksaw blade with back handle
  • 6’ of stainless safety wire
  • Wire coat hanger
  • Self sealing tape
  • Duck tape
  • 24” zip ties
  • 11” zip ties
  • Jumper cables or jump pack

Carhartt makes a tool roll that holds just about all this. It’s in the little compartment under the floor along with drawbar, light adapters etc. we carry a little more in the Subaru which has a lot more room if you don’t use a full size spare.

kf7grq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What to carry for spare parts and tools can drive a person crazy. It will depend on how well you keep your preventive maintenance up, how old your vehicle is, and your talents to use tools. Are the tools meant for road side repairs?

So much for the double talk. Most important is a good repair manual, a set of sockets, channel lock pliers, screw drivers, a hammer, a good LED flashlight, and a volt/ohm meter. Supplies should include a small roll of duct tape, electrical tape, an assortment of fuses, a bottle of engine oil, and stop leak.

For local driving I just keep AAA in my speed dial, and a flash light. I also keep a well stocked first aid kit and road flares.

I hope you do not mind opinions because you sure got mine. As an amateur radio operator; my go bag and tool kits over lap, so what I have in mine will not necessarily be the same in yours.

Most respectfully
Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts