Mpg with leveling kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jorgez28

Reaction score
with all the talk about leveling kits. I was wondering if you guys noticed a decrease in mpg after doing the leveling?

Kingx1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would that effect gas mileage??? You're only leveling the truck. That's like you lowering your truck will make you gain a ton of mpg lol....don't think either is possible

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When people level, larger tires usually come into play. That would be the factor that changes your fuel mileage, not the level.

jarydM

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
When people level, larger tires usually come into play. That would be the factor that changes your fuel mileage, not the level.

expect about a .5 decrease in MPG for each size you go up, more pronounced with heavier tires, and up to a full 1-2 with Off Road type or mud tires.

- rolling resistance can offset that some, for instance, a 285/75 Michelin defender will get better MPG than a 265/75 Terra Grappler, but it would be marginal.

YukonandtheHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 24"s wouldn't fit without the leveling kit, i get better mileage with that configuration over the stock 20''s, winter on the other hand 17's with 33x12.5 redletters they kill my mileage..
I allways find it funny when people worry about MPG, we own 5000lb 4x4 tucks with V8's lol

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed @YukonandtheHOE . It is interesting to watch the fuel mileage, but when you buy one of these, you shouldn't expect great mileage. Best I've ever done with our '05 XL was 17.8 mpg hand calculated, that's leveled on 33's and 20's.

David Paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I allways find it funny when people worry about MPG, we own 5000lb 4x4 tucks with V8's lol

Agreed, the only time I've checked my mpg is thru the on board computer, and that was only to see if it worked. Don't remember what the reading was but do recall being impressed going down hill with my foot off the gas...

OP
OP
Jorgez28

Jorgez28

Reaction score
Thanks fellas I was just wondering if the increase in drag was impacting the mpg that much.

Frogman32

Reaction score
The leveling kit will change the aerodynamics of the truck a little bit, but it is not enough to make a measurable difference on mileage. It is like everyone else has said, the tires will make a difference. I went to a 275-60-20, with a leveling kit. The tires are about an inch taller and I have not seen a noticeable difference in mileage.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. The whole reason we have that low air dam is for mpg. Lifting an inch and a half lets that much more air onto the dirtiest part of the aero on the truck...the bottom.

A lot of people are surprised when the find out that 60-70% of a race cas down force (or reduction in lift) is from the floor.
All that is really, is drag and lift...or reducing drag and creating negative lift.

So yes a 1.5 inch lift can decrease mpg... but I'd bet a wider tire or luggier tire would have equal effect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos