most likely cause of front driver side squeak....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe LTZ with the Z55 autoride. What would the most likely cause of a front suspension squeak be? Anything these trucks are known for? I can produce the noise by bouncing on the front drivers side, but my wife isn't able to for me to figure it out. Sometimes the noise is present and others its not, it just started a few days ago. Thanks for any insight!!

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have your wife put on a few pounds and have her try again.....LOL

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, that wasn't the issue.... I have it narrowed down to somewhere in the upper strut mount area. I can't locate p/n's.

I have the Z55 and everything I come across says "except z55" so I'm not sure what I need.

Thanks

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go here for reference: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2007-chevrolet-tahoe-4wd/absorber-front-shock-spring.html

To find what you need, reference the codes on the sticker in the glovebox.

If I had to guess, a squeak could be caused by:
The absorber itself
the bumper that is on the shaft of the absorber
Maybe even the spring.

The issue here is that you would have to take the strut unit apart to change any of it. If your miles are getting up there on the current setup, you may want to just change all of it. It is not easy and it is somewhat dangerous, so there is a safety aspect to it.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go here for reference: https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2007-chevrolet-tahoe-4wd/absorber-front-shock-spring.html

To find what you need, reference the codes on the sticker in the glovebox.

If I had to guess, a squeak could be caused by:
The absorber itself
the bumper that is on the shaft of the absorber
Maybe even the spring.

The issue here is that you would have to take the strut unit apart to change any of it. If your miles are getting up there on the current setup, you may want to just change all of it. It is not easy and it is somewhat dangerous, so there is a safety aspect to it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I ordered new struts, and insulator/boots yesterday, OUCH!!! I've done struts before so I'm fairly confident in the process.

Hopefully it'll be gone after replacing those. Sometimes its present and the next drive its gone, but its getting worse, can feel it now as well.

OP
OP
Trailblazzin

Trailblazzin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I only got around to replacing the driver side at the moment, replaced the strut and boot last evening. After driving it a little and back and forth to work today, so far so good.

Plan on replacing the passenger side in the next few days.

I know it's recommended to have an alignment, but not sure why if I haven't messed with the control arms in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. The geometry didn't change. I didn't get an alignment after I did mine. Tire wear is as expected. Steering still feels the same.

Just drive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins