More questions about those damned 5305s...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
After much reading on a multitude of forums, I haven't found any solid answers.

(1) How much do the Belltech 5305 springs drop a Tahoe?

I don't mean when coupled with a 1" spacer, or after the Autoride picks it back up. Let's pretend that someone has regular shocks and no spacers and swaps their original springs for the 5305s and touches nothing else. How much lower, in inches, would their Tahoe be compared to just before they swapped the springs? I keep seeing 3", 4" and 5". But it's all from people that did not measure before and/or have functioning Autoride and/or installed them with the spacer and didn't specify (or didn't even know that the spacer was an additional part and not an optional piece to the drop kit so they assume the springs are just X" drop and they just have a black ring with them). Then there's those that measure from the fender lip to the ground (which isn't so accurate in itself) with their aftermarket over- or under-sized wheels that further skew the numbers.

(2) Does anyone have some uninstalled 5305 springs that they could measure? I'd like to know the OD of the ends that rest in the pads, the wire diameter, the running length of a single coil, and the overall uninstalled length. Bonus points if you know the spring rates of the stock and/or 5305s.

(3) Does anyone have some 5303 springs installed and could tell me how many coils are actually active? I know there are something like 3 or 4 dead coils.

Yes, I do have a valid purpose for this info. :crazy:

1) depends becuase gm used 3 different spring rates on back of these tahoes 3.5 to 4.75 drop is what they do.

the coils active is 3 to 4 its a progressive spring id have to check on dead coils.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) depends becuase gm used 3 different spring rates on back of these tahoes 3.5 to 4.75 drop is what they do.

the coils active is 3 to 4 its a progressive spring id have to check on dead coils.

Thank you. That helps to explain the wide variance of people's net drops with the same spring. My LTZ has the "YD6 BASE REAR SPRING" and my Auto-Leveling has blown bags and has been disabled. The Autoride seems to still work.

It's not such a huge task to swap the rear coils. I'll just have to try what I have and see what happens.