More questions about those damned 5305s...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After much reading on a multitude of forums, I haven't found any solid answers.

(1) How much do the Belltech 5305 springs drop a Tahoe?

I don't mean when coupled with a 1" spacer, or after the Autoride picks it back up. Let's pretend that someone has regular shocks and no spacers and swaps their original springs for the 5305s and touches nothing else. How much lower, in inches, would their Tahoe be compared to just before they swapped the springs? I keep seeing 3", 4" and 5". But it's all from people that did not measure before and/or have functioning Autoride and/or installed them with the spacer and didn't specify (or didn't even know that the spacer was an additional part and not an optional piece to the drop kit so they assume the springs are just X" drop and they just have a black ring with them). Then there's those that measure from the fender lip to the ground (which isn't so accurate in itself) with their aftermarket over- or under-sized wheels that further skew the numbers.

(2) Does anyone have some uninstalled 5305 springs that they could measure? I'd like to know the OD of the ends that rest in the pads, the wire diameter, the running length of a single coil, and the overall uninstalled length. Bonus points if you know the spring rates of the stock and/or 5305s.

(3) Does anyone have some 5303 springs installed and could tell me how many coils are actually active? I know there are something like 3 or 4 dead coils.

Yes, I do have a valid purpose for this info. :crazy:

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) From what I've gathered myself, it drops 4" (Autoride= 3.5") and with spacer installed 3" (Autoride=2.5").

(2) I have a 5305 set that I'm going to install and the length is about 16" and about 6" diameter on top which would have the dead coils and 3.5" on the bottom.

I also gathered the info below from Tony (Norcal SS):
"Cut 2 full loops and then slap in and remeasure that will drop it about 1.25 inches. You can cut more if needed there are about 4 loops that are dead when full weight is on the truck and only cut from the top. What I would do is cut 1.5 loops off the bat since the first pig tail coil is very small and then cut as needed."

And this is what my goal is since I have Autoride:
Cut 2 Loops = 1.25in = 5.25 drop total with no spacer

I'll take pictures of the coil for reference.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your input!

You're going to install them, let them settle, then determine how many coils to cut to get the amount of drop you want or are you going to cut them before installing them?

Do you have a caliper to measure the wire diameter?

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem. I was leaning towards cutting then install, although might install first to see what it'll look like right before cutting.

I have a caliper but not with me at the moment. I can have the measurements tomorrow.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate any info you could provide.

As for your springs, since they're fairly quick and easy to swap out, I'd recommend running them for a little bit to let them settle so you'll have a more accurate idea of how much you need to cut. You can always cut more, but can never put a coil back on! Also, I'd like to be able to get your before and after measurements (from center of hub to bottom of fender lip) with uncut and settled springs.:D

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(1) From what I've gathered myself, it drops 4" (Autoride= 3.5") and with spacer installed 3" (Autoride=2.5").

(2) I have a 5305 set that I'm going to install and the length is about 16" and about 6" diameter on top which would have the dead coils and 3.5" on the bottom.

I also gathered the info below from Tony (Norcal SS):
"Cut 2 full loops and then slap in and remeasure that will drop it about 1.25 inches. You can cut more if needed there are about 4 loops that are dead when full weight is on the truck and only cut from the top. What I would do is cut 1.5 loops off the bat since the first pig tail coil is very small and then cut as needed."

And this is what my goal is since I have Autoride:
Cut 2 Loops = 1.25in = 5.25 drop total with no spacer

I'll take pictures of the coil for reference.

No problem. I was leaning towards cutting then install, although might install first to see what it'll look like right before cutting.

I have a caliper but not with me at the moment. I can have the measurements tomorrow.

Any updates?

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry bro. Was forgetting about this. I initially couldn't find my caliper to measure, but found them in my truck. Will measure tonight.

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the coil width. I'm still waiting on some parts before I start the install for the rest of the measurements.
76d2bf54900da1188ed1b993ce7cdc17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where's Tony input on this?

@norcalss

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of the coil width. I'm still waiting on some parts before I start the install for the rest of the measurements.
76d2bf54900da1188ed1b993ce7cdc17.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you! I was gonna ask how your drop was coming along, but you beat me to it. Looking forward to a before/after thread!