Mircophones in roof of Denali making a Humming noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up my new to me 2005 Tahoe this morning and discovered the rear one on mine was buzzing. Merely blowing out the built up dust didnt fix mine. They ARE serviceable for anyone handy enough or inclined to give it 20 minutes of your time. The hardest part was coming to the eventual conclusion that the only way to get them out is through the hole itself. I thought wrongly that there would be a way in through either a some light or the vents.

For anyone interested here's what I did.
1. I took my ghetto fabbed trim tool (aka bent butter knife) and pried off the plastic cover.
2. Widen the opening by carefully cut the headliner about a quarter inch in four places equally around the opening.
3. Pull the aspirator and wiring through the opening with some plyers...two pairs and some wiggling got mine out fairly easily.
4. Unsnapped the wiring connector.
5. Carefully separate the top and bottom "housing" to the aspirator.
6. Separate the fan and electrical board from the bottom piece...there's a couple black pieces that just took a light push to release it.
7. Carefully bdnd back the thermometer to allow the fan to slide off.
8. Using some compressed air blow off all the dust, I washed all the pieces besides the electrical board, and inspect for any damage. The mating surface on mine between the fan and the lower "rubber seat" was a bit rough causing a clicking. It took some gentle scraping but after a couple tries the clicking went away. You can test it by just pitting fan back in and hitting it with the air. A little petroleum jelly on the shaft...hehe...and she was good to go.
9. Reassemble.
10. Connect wires and jam it back in.
11. With a little wiggling around get the aspirator centered above the hole.
12. With even pressure snap the cover back on...the headliner should flex enough to allow counter pressure from the roof.

HTH

Darren

I am having this problem also. Will be looking into it soon

Had no idea that this is what it was. Thought it was a blown tweeter or something!

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having this problem also. Will be looking into it soon

Had no idea that this is what it was. Thought it was a blown tweeter or something!

Hah, I have the same issue in the new esky periodically. Glad I know how to fix it!

apenney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi. I recently bought a 2003 Yukon and have this noise issue as well. I found this video that shows the fix. I haven't tried it out myself yet but it looks fairly straightforward.

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does anybody have a tutorial for removing the REAR ceiling sensor??? That's a lot of headliner to come down unless there is an easier way? Im replacing my front one tonight since I only get heat with temp at max and the buzzing noise stopped, lol. I have no heat in the rear at all.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced mine today. Hopefully no more hum. Old one was full of dust and junk.

New one looks slightly different.

Screwed up the a pillar cover though damnit... Hopefully plastic weld putty will hold it in there.

20180105_123050_HDR.jpg 20180105_122948.jpg 20180105_123352_HDR.jpg

TaboltB2015

Reaction score
I have a 2003 and mine does the same thing. I did a little researching on it and found that service bulletin though so I wasn't that worried about it. How do those come out? Do they have little clips that pop out or does that side of the headliner have to be removed?

I work at a dealer and most of the time I can just take the headliner down a little and pull it out and just use the air blower and get all the gunk out of it and then if that don't fix it which it dose most of the time just unplug it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanJW

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same question about the rear sensor? Will I have to remove all the headliner?

Also I'm guessing it is the same part number as the driver side one?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same question about the rear sensor? Will I have to remove all the headliner?

Also I'm guessing it is the same part number as the driver side one?
I didnt replace mine in the rear, but I did remove it and clean it.

In the case of my escalade ESV there are some plastic push clips that hold the headliner in very close to the rear sensor. It was quite easy to remove a few and push the liner out of the way enough to deal with the rear sensor.

ARogg619

Reaction score
does anyone know where to get one of the little round covers? I fixed mine by cleaning but the little cover has always been missing since I bought the truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2