Megan the Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
gtrslngrchris

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Went to the salvage yard today and picked up a clean rear hatch. I stripped the glass and plastic trim and walked out with it, a non-Bose rear sub and a rear hatch pillar trim from a Suburban that has a lock/unlock button on it that I'll wire in since my Tahoe doesn't have one.

Walked out with all of it for $83 and change :D

t0YgSk5.jpg

OP
OP
gtrslngrchris

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Replaced the tail light bulbs in the Tahoe today finally with LEDs but was lame and took no pictures. I did however do a custom homelink install in my friends' '06 Silverado though since I had an extra homelink overhead console and his truck was without.

Crappy pic but you can see it's setup so the driver can see and use it but the passenger won't.
Hzh1AfQ.jpg
e0B6qvw.jpg

Tied into the overhead console circuit just like the factory so the buttons even light up with the rest of the interior!
T6cvV1X.jpg

LOTS and lots of hot glue was used here....... A lot....
lgiarHO.jpg

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Replaced the tail light bulbs in the Tahoe today finally with LEDs but was lame and took no pictures. I did however do a custom homelink install in my friends' '06 Silverado though since I had an extra homelink overhead console and his truck was without.

Crappy pic but you can see it's setup so the driver can see and use it but the passenger won't.
Hzh1AfQ.jpg
e0B6qvw.jpg

Tied into the overhead console circuit just like the factory so the buttons even light up with the rest of the interior!
T6cvV1X.jpg

LOTS and lots of hot glue was used here....... A lot....
lgiarHO.jpg
Nice, so convienent to have.

Good work on the hoe so far, mods seem promising from you, can't wait for more!!

Next time use this instead of gobs of hot glue
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/two-great-products.90861/

OP
OP
gtrslngrchris

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
:secret:anything else ?
I've been distracted a lot with the girlfriend and work and life in general but I'm back to it a bit, although not with as many pictures as I intended.

About a month ago I found a deal on Nitto 420s in 285/50/20 so I picked those up for $480 shipped and had my friend mount them. I love the way these tires look and grip on my Duramax and they drive even better on the Tahoe since it doesn't weigh 7500lbs. After the new tires I finally installed one of my new sets of headlights and turn signals (I have a second set to retrofit my Mini H1 projectors into) to clean up the front end a bit and I dropped the factory keys as low as they would go to help with the fender gap on the shorter new tires.

After a few weeks of that though it was finally time to do some real work again so on Saturday I replaced all 3 transmission cooler lines as one was seeping and then I installed my NorCal 3-4 drop in the rear and the DJM A arms and new shocks in the front along with Moog tie rods. I sort of lost my new front and rear sway bars while I was working on everything or those would have gone on as well but that won't take long to remedy later on.

c8S13a8.jpg

The Tahoe drives amazingly well with the drop! Even without the sways the cornering is so much more dramatically flat and while the rear is definitely a bit more stiff it isn't so much that it bothers me and I think swapping shocks would help a bit. I still have a LOT of work planned and hopefully there will be many more pics next time but I got caught up in the doing of the things and less so in the recording of the things.

Soon to come:
Remove the fender flares
Body work done on the rear quarter, hatch painted and swapped, bumper chrome color-matched
Pull and repaint all the wipers and roof rack and rear corner bits so they're a nice matte black again
6.0 swap (I have a line on an LQ9 that I'm hoping to get soon)
TransGo shift kit and Corvette servo (Hopefully this will help my 180k mile trans hold up a bit longer, especially with the 6.0)

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I've been distracted a lot with the girlfriend and work and life in general but I'm back to it a bit, although not with as many pictures as I intended.

About a month ago I found a deal on Nitto 420s in 285/50/20 so I picked those up for $480 shipped and had my friend mount them. I love the way these tires look and grip on my Duramax and they drive even better on the Tahoe since it doesn't weigh 7500lbs. After the new tires I finally installed one of my new sets of headlights and turn signals (I have a second set to retrofit my Mini H1 projectors into) to clean up the front end a bit and I dropped the factory keys as low as they would go to help with the fender gap on the shorter new tires.

After a few weeks of that though it was finally time to do some real work again so on Saturday I replaced all 3 transmission cooler lines as one was seeping and then I installed my NorCal 3-4 drop in the rear and the DJM A arms and new shocks in the front along with Moog tie rods. I sort of lost my new front and rear sway bars while I was working on everything or those would have gone on as well but that won't take long to remedy later on.

c8S13a8.jpg

The Tahoe drives amazingly well with the drop! Even without the sways the cornering is so much more dramatically flat and while the rear is definitely a bit more stiff it isn't so much that it bothers me and I think swapping shocks would help a bit. I still have a LOT of work planned and hopefully there will be many more pics next time but I got caught up in the doing of the things and less so in the recording of the things.

Soon to come:
Remove the fender flares
Body work done on the rear quarter, hatch painted and swapped, bumper chrome color-matched
Pull and repaint all the wipers and roof rack and rear corner bits so they're a nice matte black again
TransGo shift kit and Corvette servo (Hopefully this will help my 180k mile trans hold up a bit longer, especially with the 6.0)

c8S13a8.jpg

Soon to come:
Remove the fender flares
That trans will def be on borrowed time!

OP
OP
gtrslngrchris

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
That trans will def be on borrowed time!
No kidding, I already feel like it is but it just seems to have no problems so far. That said, I forgot to mention I bought an HPtuners license on my boss' VCM so I am learning to tune it myself now and will definitely be blowing it up in short order so I'll be needing a 4L80E with that 6.0 when I get it!

OP
OP
gtrslngrchris

gtrslngrchris

Reaction score
Last night I checked out and picked up my new LQ9 6.0L for the Tahoe and then took it to the car wash for a good degreasing and scrubbing :D :D :D

66IMf5Q.jpg

E3e2AYg.jpg

CNJUQ4Q.jpg

It's now drying in the garage until next week when I can borrow a cherry picker and do the swap. It's from an '06 Escalade with 143k on the clock and appears to be in great shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu