mechanical clicking, not climate control does not work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jon Chimpo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

04 tahoe z71. For the past few weeks my wife told me there was a clicking behind the dash. Of course when I checked couldn't hear anything.

Well now I've been told the climate control will not blow out of any vent, hot or cold.

Sounds like the actuator is broken, but I'd like a second opinion from you guys. Any idea where to start looking?

OP
OP
J

Jon Chimpo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

The blower does not seem to turn on at all. The rear CC works.

From what I've read these have weak blower motor resistors. Wpuld that be a good place to start?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

The blower does not seem to turn on at all. The rear CC works.

From what I've read these have weak blower motor resistors. Wpuld that be a good place to start?
Easiest and cheapest but usually you lose low/medium speed first. Blower prob crapped out. I would do both but probe wires make sure there is power there, check fuses and the like 1st. My 2 cents

OP
OP
J

Jon Chimpo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i ran 12v to the blower, it turned on.

Checked the voltage to the resistor. It was at 12v on the black and red, and fluctuated depending on speed when I probed the purple.

So i have a 3 pin that goes to the resistor. All that I'm seeing forsale is a 5pin. Even called the dealer they said its a 5pin.. WTF????

I definitely only have a 3 pin.

OP
OP
J

Jon Chimpo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended upgoing to the dealer for the part. 120$ ouch, but im tired of buying substandard ebay parts.

Another note:

Always disconnect the battery before splicing wires. I've been really sick for a week, and in my haze, i just started cutting wires. Well it sparked.. blew a few fueses.

Really strange, the gauges stopped working, the radio stayed on, abs light was on, Windows and locks didn't work. No gear selector lit up. Changed the fuses, didn't work. Went to park it on the street and call a mechanic (figured I fried the ecu). Put on the street, then pulled the radio fuse so battery wouldn't drain.

That made everything okay. Put the same radio fuse in, and it was good to go. Everything works again. Best of all it has heat!

That tahoe doesn't know how close it came to getting traded for an Allroad.

So again, always make sure to disconnect the battery.

Last edited:

Katy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,

04 tahoe z71. For the past few weeks my wife told me there was a clicking behind the dash. Of course when I checked couldn't hear anything.

Well now I've been told the climate control will not blow out of any vent, hot or cold.

Sounds like the actuator is broken, but I'd like a second opinion from you guys. Any idea where to start looking?

My 03 Tahoe has been clicking the past 6 months. It sound just like a odometer cable clicking. My mechanic says it is a flap on the air sticking. It did it all summer, but not doing it now unless defrost is on. Mine is still working on air and heat.
So he is probably right.
However, i did a search and found a site telling how to fix it yourself by programming it. I have not done it yet. When it hits my priority list I will get to it. I did not write down the site. Sorry.
Cheaper to try myself than to pay a master mechanic.
I hope this helps.

Update I found the u tube video that I mentioned. It shows how to recalibrate actuator. I have completed the fix it . Now have to drive to check it out this afternoon.
I used the u tube video by anthonyj350. Another video suggested the same thing.
By the way I am female. And don’t know anything about fixing cars or house! Had a husband for 40 yrs he took care of all that!
I will update later.

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 03 Tahoe has been clicking the past 6 months. It sound just like a odometer cable clicking. My mechanic says it is a flap on the air sticking. It did it all summer, but not doing it now unless defrost is on. Mine is still working on air and heat.
So he is probably right.
However, i did a search and found a site telling how to fix it yourself by programming it. I have not done it yet. When it hits my priority list I will get to it. I did not write down the site. Sorry.
Cheaper to try myself than to pay a master mechanic.
I hope this helps.

Update I found the u tube video that I mentioned. It shows how to recalibrate actuator. I have completed the fix it . Now have to drive to check it out this afternoon.
I used the u tube video by anthonyj350. Another video suggested the same thing.
By the way I am female. And don’t know anything about fixing cars or house! Had a husband for 40 yrs he took care of all that!
I will update later.
Good for you @Katy , apparently you enough about fixing cars because you may have just fixed your clicking......;)

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got the same clicking behind my cluster and its driving me crazy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep