Matt's Yukon XL 2500 (Giant Silver Unicorn) Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like the AMP Research boards? I've been looking at those for a while. Looks fairly easy to install. Like you said, more moving parts etc is my only concern. I also have 4 kids! We are a rare breed

I really like them! After installing im much less concerned with the "moving parts"... its two linkages and basically a window motor. The linkages are stupid simple, and the motor is easily replaced.

Only issue i had so far was my own fault... i sprayed some lithium grease on them thinking that'd help protect from road salt, but all that did was gum them up, adding enough friction so the motor stopped moving them thinking they were at the stops. If I would have fully read the instructions, they explicitly say NOT to use any lubrication other than spray silicone.

Now I give them a quick spray with silicone on a regular basis lol

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next two upgrades going on are Crown Performance SS brake hoses, and Air Lift 59526 springs for the rear.

I decided to go with the SS hoses primarily for the rear lift instead of bending the stock steel lines. They're not here yet since they're made to order....

The air springs showed up and will be going on tomorrow or Sunday. Other than towing, they'll come in handy keeping the rear a bit higher with 39 gallons in the tank. I drop to just over 1/2" rake with a full tank after the lift, which means it probably looks like the rear is sagging when I hit the gas. I'm going to set the ride height with the air springs right at 1" rake with a full tank, and level driver/passenger lean, for DD duties.

20180302_211937.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
39 gallons...I need that tank in The Beast since I essentially have an 8.1 with the blower on it. Nice progress though!

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah its nice only having to fill up once a month :rockit:

Also came in handy driving it home from OH to NJ when i bought it... only had to stop once, and that was for coffee, not gas

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah its nice only having to fill up once a month :rockit:

Also came in handy driving it home from OH to NJ when i bought it... only had to stop once, and that was for coffee, not gas
I get about 6.8 mpg with the way I drive so I stop for gas constantly it seems like.

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't get a chance to install the air springs this weekend. We had a slight break in the weather so I took my older two kids mountain biking instead of playing in the garage

20180304_174517.jpg

I'll be away all this weekend coaching a high school robotics competiton. So hopefully the brake lines show up and I can put the lines & springs on the 17th or 18th.

In the meantime the BBP in person tune dates were released, but I unfortunately already have plans to go to Rausch Creek off-road park on April 8th. So I went ahead and ordered the Autocal today, and will be looking to schedule my gear install the first week of April when my wife & kids are on spring break :driver:

..... after that, all the big stuff will be done for a while :emotions33:

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Here's an update to the trimming.

Pro Comp Brackets 90-3575 and 90-3576 had to be modified to eliminate rubbing. Not a big deal, I just cut off all excess material and mounted with one upper & one lower bolt. Then some trimming and heating/forming of the liner.... not too bad. These brackets were definitely a life saver!!

View attachment 193078

View attachment 193079

Really.... for taking 1.5" off the bumper I think it came out pretty damn good. Only ones that'll notice are other GM owners who have been through our hell of trying to fit bigger tires lol

View attachment 193080

Those brackets really helped a lot! Glad you got them to work. Next you need to trim that lower valance to barely cover the bumper tabs. It will make the Yukon look so much better!

OP
OP
Matt_

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those brackets really helped a lot! Glad you got them to work. Next you need to trim that lower valance to barely cover the bumper tabs. It will make the Yukon look so much better!

Thanks man. Focusing on the bigger functional mods now and will hit those finer detailed ones like the valence this summer.... when the sun's out past 8pm and I can enjoy a few brews while toying around with the truck :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe