Matt00 2003 Yukon build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also received the Corvette Servo and put it in with a buddy and my dad. It was harder to do than people like to admit, but it was fun. It was fairly easy after we actually got the sucker in. It’s ridiculous how much it helps, and even with the bigger tires it’s still doing what I bought it for and that was a firm 1st to 2nd shift.

I'm anxious to learn how the trans' will hold up to the upgraded servo. That sucker has some miles on it, gotta be real careful changing stuff up like that. I mean, I hope it works great and actually extends the service life. I just had a trans tech convince me to leave the original unit as it is. His advice made sense & I haven't been through enough TM to know what reaction each & every little upgrade has on corresponding assemblies/hard parts/clutch packs. Please update in a week or 2 of any useful or applicable info.

OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
I'm anxious to learn how the trans' will hold up to the upgraded servo. That sucker has some miles on it, gotta be real careful changing stuff up like that. I mean, I hope it works great and actually extends the service life. I just had a trans tech convince me to leave the original unit as it is. His advice made sense & I haven't been through enough TM to know what reaction each & every little upgrade has on corresponding assemblies/hard parts/clutch packs. Please update in a week or 2 of any useful or applicable info.
After almost a week it’s feeling great. The only time it has a long shift is in the morning when it’s been sitting all night and I’m trying to rush to school! Once it gets heated up it shifts perfect. My mom has a 2012 Tahoe LT that’s very smooth with everything so that’s what I am gauging mine off of. Although it’s a firmer sorta harsher shift I love it compared to what it was.

But it hasn’t even been a week so by the time two rolls around I’ll give you more feedback.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I know I said I was going to start the interior, but I found a deal that I couldn’t pass up. 17” stock 2500 wheels on 315/70/17. I got them on with very little trimming, just the plastics up front. Now it doesn’t rub at all lock to lock. I’m still going to throw a leveling kit on though because with the deep bumps in the road the back tires hit the bottom of the truck (not very safe, I know.). I’ll have pictures later today because we put them on last night when it was way too dark and I’m at school at the moment.
What do you mean 2500 wheels? 8- lug rims?

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up on a thread @ another forum, pickup had 250K+ miles. swapped-in a corvette servo and lost the trans' not too long after. I asked him if the upgraded servo had anything to do with hastening the trans' failure and this was his response:

"Nothing noticeable right away. I'm sure my driving style sometimes and the tuning I did on it accelerated the issue over the couple thousand miles I put on it. Plus being a used transmission it's a toss up on how long it would last.

1st and 2nd gear pulls were just fine, seems to act up a little later on when going into 3rd at full throttle."

OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
I picked up on a thread @ another forum, pickup had 250K+ miles. swapped-in a corvette servo and lost the trans' not too long after. I asked him if the upgraded servo had anything to do with hastening the trans' failure and this was his response:

"Nothing noticeable right away. I'm sure my driving style sometimes and the tuning I did on it accelerated the issue over the couple thousand miles I put on it. Plus being a used transmission it's a toss up on how long it would last.

1st and 2nd gear pulls were just fine, seems to act up a little later on when going into 3rd at full throttle."
That’s pretty scary actually. If I notice any thing I’ll probably end up pulling it and putting the old one back in, let’s just hope for the best.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@matt00

I just bought a 2003 'Kon back in April. The VERY first thing that I did was drain the trans', replace the filter and pan gasket, & refill the thing with what I thought was the best TF I could get: AC Delco Dexron 6, full synthetic. If you haven't done this, I suggest you not procrastinate. Don't flush it, but dump whatever drains with removing the pan, and refill with some high quality stuff through the dipstick. Personally, I had a bad gasket the 1st time & I lost so much fluid that I basically replaced most of what was left in the upper part of the system that didn't go with the original drain. But for the most part, you would reinstall your trans' pan with new gasket and removable drain plug so that you can do another drain/refill 2-weeks later or whatever.

The next thing I'm going to do is install a larger Trans' cooler. I don't tow but I drive in traffic everyday, and the weather gets pretty damn hot down here for at least 6-mo out of the year. If you keep your TF fresh and cool, the unit should keep on truckin' if you don't beat on it with 75% or more throttle pulls. They say hard downshifts to 2nd gear and re-accelerating will fu{k it up, too.

The way I see it, I want the original equipment to last the life of the vehicle. If I experience a catastrophic failure for any reason, well, I don't know... I'm 100% committed to prevent' maint

OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
@matt00

I just bought a 2003 'Kon back in April. The VERY first thing that I did was drain the trans', replace the filter and pan gasket, & refill the thing with what I thought was the best TF I could get: AC Delco Dexron 6, full synthetic. If you haven't done this, I suggest you not procrastinate. Don't flush it, but dump whatever drains with removing the pan, and refill with some high quality stuff through the dipstick. Personally, I had a bad gasket the 1st time & I lost so much fluid that I basically replaced most of what was left in the upper part of the system that didn't go with the original drain. But for the most part, you would reinstall your trans' pan with new gasket and removable drain plug so that you can do another drain/refill 2-weeks later or whatever.

The next thing I'm going to do is install a larger Trans' cooler. I don't tow but I drive in traffic everyday, and the weather gets pretty damn hot down here for at least 6-mo out of the year. If you keep your TF fresh and cool, the unit should keep on truckin' if you don't beat on it with 75% or more throttle pulls. They say hard downshifts to 2nd gear and re-accelerating will fu{k it up, too.

The way I see it, I want the original equipment to last the life of the vehicle. If I experience a catastrophic failure for any reason, well, I don't know... I'm 100% committed to prevent' maint
Well I didn’t replace it when I first got it, but I just HAD to when I switched out the servo. Long story short I started changing out the servo, raged a little bit, tried to put it back together and drive to work and the snap ring popped out! Halfway down my street all of my tranny fluid is leaking out so I shift it into neutral and walk her back into my driveway. That’s an easy way to drain your fluid I guess. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
matt00

matt00

Reaction score
I washed it sunday and snapped some pictures.

8A5BEF1A-DFC1-4692-8CE3-00393F103225.jpeg 56992E4C-2749-4DE0-840E-31BA38B7C074.jpeg

Also installed the light bar that came in a few weeks ago.

84BD2E53-6DB3-493E-BED2-BF74C706BF28.jpeg
6BE2B0FD-F004-4763-85BF-6990ADC977F2.jpeg

The switch that came with the light bar broke, so I ran to O’Reillys and grabbed a nice little metal switch.
BDF4F9E1-26FF-4125-964F-6C071E761E18.jpeg

It’s wired through the dash bezel, and since I couldn’t find the drill I used gorilla glue to get it in there good. It’s a bit dirty so I’m going to have to find a way to clean that stuff of the front. But I am happy with it so far!

She’s starting to come together and hopefully I’m not slowing down anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low