Matching color to paint dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing many possibilities with this and hearing great things about SEM. The color of interior I have is very hard to come by in the salvage yard yet I have many broken panels. I think I may buy whatever I find and paint them. Also I just found a color card for all the stock mixtures from SEM. I ordered it off amazon. Probably I could have got it from SEM dealer for free but don't want the sales pitch :)

Did you buy the rattle cans when you did yours or do you have a paint gun?
I just used the can, once it dried it just blended perfectly

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks much for the help... I should also ask, I understand the prep process is:

0 (optional) hand clean with dish soap and alcohol.
1. clean with SEM soap 39362 and scotch bright scour pad.
2. clean with SEM plastic prep 38353

3. not sure which primer / adhesion promoter to use
- acetone test no effect they say use primer 39863
- acetone smudges piece, they say use primer 77723

So I used acetone on back side of dash. I rubbed with light pressure some of the surface came off then it hit solid plastic and couldn't smudge that. I am assuming what came off was overspray from the factory pain job, but not sure. Which Adhesion promoter did you guys use? Thanks!

blurred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the stuff from AutoZone. Hit it with two layers and then followed with a ton of light coats to get the color I wanted. Unfortunately, SEM paint won't lay on thick for a good coat, at least it didn't for me.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used the stuff from AutoZone. Hit it with two layers and then followed with a ton of light coats to get the color I wanted. Unfortunately, SEM paint won't lay on thick for a good coat, at least it didn't for me.

I ended up getting all the SEM stuff. Haven't run through the process yet but will post the results :) Hopefully I have better luck. I plan on doing several coats as I bought two rattle cans, and the low luster clear coat.

blurred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two cans will be plenty for the dash. I used had one for the dash and got the coverage i needed for a color change.

Hell, speaking of, I need to find out where my paint is. Ordered it a week ago to finissh the rest of my interior and I still don't have it.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two cans will be plenty for the dash. I used had one for the dash and got the coverage i needed for a color change.

Hell, speaking of, I need to find out where my paint is. Ordered it a week ago to finissh the rest of my interior and I still don't have it.

Shucks... I get my stuff off Amazon though certainly may have been a few bucks cheaper elsewhere.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got it painted... It's not perfect. The end product wasn't glossy, but rather a matte finish despite I used 3 coats of their clear coat.

I'm not completely sold on the SEM process as a result. The spray bottles had inconsistent flow. This resulted in a bunch of splotchy coats, instead of nice smooth consistent coverage. It's also difficult to get complete coverage in the texture of the piece (possibly my fault for spraying with piece laying on the ground).

I'm done a fair amount of rattle can painting and never had this flow issue before. Quite disappointing considering the price they charge for this stuff.

The finish will work but they should do something about the flow on these bottles, no matter my angle of application they had flow issues.

Curious, how long before the piece can be armorall'ed or silicone protectant put on it? I'm curious if that will help with it's sheen?

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts