LSD Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
99 Tahoe with an open diff. The pinion bearing has gone bad, and while the shop has it apart, I was wondering if it's a cheap upgrade to a limited slip. The shop lets me get my own parts if I want. So can someone help me find the right rear end? Thanks

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.rockauto.com has what your after has it listed for 470. its just the limited slip case so they can put your gear back on the new unit. if you haven't used rockauto its pretty simple just select your vehicle on the columns then go to the section for your part.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "cheap"...
Quality carriers are not the cheapest thing to purchase, but the G80 is known to "explode" in the most non-desired moments.
As such, I've been very happy with the Detroit Tru-Trac carrier in my signature (no clutches/springs/steels to be replaced). Can be purchased at SummitRacing for certain, and likely other places as well.

Walrusmt

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "cheap"...
Quality carriers are not the cheapest thing to purchase, but the G80 is known to "explode" in the most non-desired moments.
As such, I've been very happy with the Detroit Tru-Trac carrier in my signature (no clutches/springs/steels to be replaced). Can be purchased at SummitRacing for certain, and likely other places as well.
Thanks for the topic - I'm considering replacing the diff as well. However I'm not sure about the pinion bearing.

Question - when I removed the pinion nut the yolk practically fell off, and the pinion bearing slides back and forth on the pinion shaft. Is this normal? I've worked on these trucks for a while, but never dug into a rear end.

Sorry to hijack the topic, just hoping someone has some insight. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne