Lowering & Vibration issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has had the infamous 'vibration issues' at highway speed prior to lowering and if lowering helped the condition at all?

I have a 2016 Denali XL w 22 CK158's (6 spoke GM) and have been fighting the vibration issues since the 6K mile mark...23k now...I make the dealer RFB the wheels/tires at every oil change and the vibration is better for about 1k miles then comes back. Dealer replaced two tires on the second service after I complained it was still vibrating....but to this day it still vibrates above 70mph - maginute of the vibration depends on the road and load (# of passengers)...but annoying as hell! Dealer says "it's within acceptable limits"...which I call BS! If it wouldn't take forever and a significant amount of my time fighting the dealership/GM I'd get a lemon law lawyer to press the issue w GM to buy it back!

Anyway main question....would lowering it lessen the vibration issues? Or has anyone experienced a change after lowering? I've heard one 'fix' to the vibration issue was to change the differentials ring/pinion (pinion pre-set torque is likely out of spec leading to the driveline vibration)...wondering if the slight pinion angle change from lowering would affect the vibration....? I really want to lower this thing but not if it's going to make the vibration worse...may wait another few months and trade it off for another Suburban/Yukon...

Vegasmarc21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has had the infamous 'vibration issues' at highway speed prior to lowering and if lowering helped the condition at all?

I have a 2016 Denali XL w 22 CK158's (6 spoke GM) and have been fighting the vibration issues since the 6K mile mark...23k now...I make the dealer RFB the wheels/tires at every oil change and the vibration is better for about 1k miles then comes back. Dealer replaced two tires on the second service after I complained it was still vibrating....but to this day it still vibrates above 70mph - maginute of the vibration depends on the road and load (# of passengers)...but annoying as hell! Dealer says "it's within acceptable limits"...which I call BS! If it wouldn't take forever and a significant amount of my time fighting the dealership/GM I'd get a lemon law lawyer to press the issue w GM to buy it back!

Anyway main question....would lowering it lessen the vibration issues? Or has anyone experienced a change after lowering? I've heard one 'fix' to the vibration issue was to change the differentials ring/pinion (pinion pre-set torque is likely out of spec leading to the driveline vibration)...wondering if the slight pinion angle change from lowering would affect the vibration....? I really want to lower this thing but not if it's going to make the vibration worse...may wait another few months and trade it off for another Suburban/Yukon...
That's what I'm thinking since my father in law is a mechanic and told me my drive shaft angle is off, and that's why is vibrates...and I want to lower my as well.....I'm thinking it could help...heck the vibration is there now, changing it may just help?

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be driveline, but it could also be alignment? My alignment was significantly off from the factory, especially toe. So my tires would feather across the tread. Rotating them would help for awhile.

I lowered mine and have experienced no vibration issues--after alignment.

Adjustable rear control arms from Spohn would also help driveline angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne