Lowering options for 2017 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonchief

Reaction score
Let me start off with say I have a 2017 Yukon 2WD non autoride. Can you all recommend a lowering kit for the rear that will leave me leveled with the front. I’ve seen lots on eBay and other places that are 2” drop kits but I’m unsure of 2 things with these kits. 1) is the brand mcgaughys, maxtrac and a couple of others. Can I trust them???? Also I looked at NorCal kits but it says 2.5-4” drop (link below) what will put me leveled 2” or 2.5”. I don’t want the front higher then the rear. Thanks in advance

http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=578

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither will put you leveled. Measure from the ground to the fender lip on level ground at all four corners. Measure through the center of the hub. Typical rake is 1-1/2”, so most experience a little rear sag with 2” springs (I did), then you need to lower the front 1” to get back front rake, then lower the rear a little more to get the look you are after, then ...

I used McGaughy’s based on the fact they use the same spring rates as gm. I can recommend them. I have also used Eibach on previous vehicles and they worked really well, plus they do not need shock extenders like others.

Welcome to the world of making it yours!

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typical rake is 1-1/2”, so most experience a little rear sag with 2” springs (I did), then you need to lower the front 1” to get back front rake.

I used McGaughy’s based on the fact they use the same spring rates as gm. I can recommend them. I have also used Eibach on previous vehicles and they worked really well, plus they do not need shock extenders like others.

When you did yours, did you go with just springs? Or a whole kit?

OP
OP
yukonchief

yukonchief

Reaction score
Neither will put you leveled. Measure from the ground to the fender lip on level ground at all four corners. Measure through the center of the hub. Typical rake is 1-1/2”, so most experience a little rear sag with 2” springs (I did), then you need to lower the front 1” to get back front rake, then lower the rear a little more to get the look you are after, then ...

Welcome to the world of making it yours!

Is the mcgaughys 30014 kit the one I need. They sell it off eBay and say it’s for a 2015 Yukon which I’m sure is the same. But it does have shock extenders. Your saying I won’t need them. Also I plan to replace the rear shocks with bilstein 5100

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Let me start off with say I have a 2017 Yukon 2WD non autoride. Can you all recommend a lowering kit for the rear that will leave me leveled with the front. I’ve seen lots on eBay and other places that are 2” drop kits but I’m unsure of 2 things with these kits. 1) is the brand mcgaughys, maxtrac and a couple of others. Can I trust them???? Also I looked at NorCal kits but it says 2.5-4” drop (link below) what will put me leveled 2” or 2.5”. I don’t want the front higher then the rear. Thanks in advance

http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=578

I tested mcgaughys/max trax/eibach/belltech and by far belltech i like best. Shoot me a text i can dial it all in

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony,
I would a slightly stiffer ride. 2016 Yukon, non-autoride, no mrc.

Would this kit, Product Code: 201858, if I do a 2/3 drop, accomplish that?

I sometimes tow (a small 3500lb travel trailer), how do I add helper bags to the order?

Thanks, as always, you're very helpful.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I no longer touch mcgaughys or install it.

By far the best option is tge priven 2/3.5-4.5 kit i offer. If you go on instagram look up norcal_ss you will see many ive done.

After doing so many i dialed in kits that ride the best and knock out rhose i dont like

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you did yours, did you go with just springs? Or a whole kit?

Sorry, just saw your question. Mine is kinda Frankensteined together. I went with McGauhy’s rear 2”, and then the 2” front drop cups with two spacers (supposed to drop 1”). Found out the front dropped too far (for me) and the stock front struts sucked, so I ended up putting the cups on Bilstein 5100s raised to their highest setting with one spring spacer installed.

Ultimately, if I were to do over I would go with McGauhy’s rear 2” and front 1” drop springs, Bilsteins all around (if Arnott still has them for the air rear), a Spohn adjustable pan hard rod (which I ave), and Spohn lower trailing arms (which I want).

The pic shows the Tahoe on the alignment rack in the final configuration-about 35” from ground to fenderlip in front and about 35-5/8” in back. Equals approx 1” drop in front and 2-1/8” in back (used heater hose trick per Nocal SS).

F26D980D-3E49-4788-8520-782FBB0AE937.jpeg

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ultimately, if I were to do over I would go with McGauhy’s rear 2” and front 1” drop springs, Bilsteins all around (if Arnott still has them for the air rear), a Spohn adjustable pan hard rod (which I ave), and Spohn lower trailing arms (which I want).

The pic shows the Tahoe on the alignment rack in the final configuration-about 35” from ground to fenderlip in front and about 35-5/8” in back. Equals approx 1” drop in front and 2-1/8” in back (used heater hose trick per Nocal SS).

A 1/2 drop would probably be right for me too. McGaughys only seems to have 2/3 springs, are you seeing something that I'm not?

Last edited:

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 1/2 drop would probably be right for me too. McGaughys only seems to have 2/3 springs, are you seeing done thing that I'm not?

Check on pn 34041 for front.