Lower thermostats, really needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A common belief is that a cooler running engine will reduce intake air temperature. The reality is that outside of idle, there is very little heat transferred from the engine to the intake charge. The mass of air moving across the incredibly small surface area of the intake ports is too large and too fast to allow for any large temperature transferance.

As a vehicle sits out overnight, you may notice condensation on the windows, hood, etc from moisture in the air. That same moisture ends up in the crank case as well. An engine that does not reach the manufacturers operating temperature will not as easily boil off that condensation, especially if only short trips are taken.

Here is some info to further whet your palate: http://www.tuneruniversity.com/blog/2012/04/low-temp-thermostats-whats-the-advantage/

With a 160* thermostat, the average operating temperature of a GM engine is approximately 180*. With the OEM thermostat, it is around 199*. A few minutes on the dyno can quickly show temps above 210-220*, regardless of the thermostat. As long as intake air temperatures remain static, power output is static and sometimes even BETTER under the 210-220* range.

In short, keep your stock tstat.

jamesl0822

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had always thought that the lower thermostat was a common misconception but had never put much thought into it......Great explanation

OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Lower thermostat goes back to the old days when the block and intake were solid iron and it made a difference.

OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The exceptions to this would be the 8.1L and the 2500HD 6.0L that do heavy towing; they have design flaws.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info as usual. This should be a sticky since it gets asked once in a while.

OP
OP
JennaBear

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I get this question quite frequently. Many people believe that the tstat is a cooling device, which it is not. It is a regulator.

Sent from an ice cream sammich.

Vortecmass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question: what do you think about this product called "Red Line"? Does it rally works in V8 engines. I have previously own 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles and I have seen good results.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu