Lower Control Arm Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike_oat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a question about my lower control arms. My lower ball joints have play in them. I was going to order new ball joints but there is two different ones, one for aluminum and one for steel. I know for sure I don’t have aluminum but my issue is I think they are cast iron control arms. The part number on the control arm is 2578814. Are my control arms cast iron or steel? Are the ball joints that say for steel arms meant for the cast iron control arms? It’s a 2009 Tahoe LT Vin:0. Every where I look I can only find aluminum and cast iron control arms so it makes me wonder why the ball joints say for steel if I can’t buy a steel control arm for it.

AF157B80-9C18-4574-9650-08632CB28D3D.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Mike_oat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok thank you, so i should be able to just change the ball joint?

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on the picture you provided, the lower control arm is more like an Aluminum one. Do a test by yourself, using a magnetic to attach the arm.

Yes, as money saving, you can replace the lower ball joint with a ball joint press instead of replacing entire lower control arm assembly. Since the ball joint for steel lower control arm or Aluminum one is different, So, make sure.

so i should be able to just change the ball joint?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thank you, so i should be able to just change the ball joint?

Any time, glad I could help.
Yes, it might be a pain but you should be able to do it. If you know anyone with a press, may be worth a beer or 6 for the extra help. I find the rental ball joint presses are junk and never taken care of nor are they maintained by the stores that rent them.

Based on the picture you provided, the lower control arm is more like an Aluminum one. Do a test by yourself, using a magnetic to attach the arm.

Yes, as money saving, you can replace the lower ball joint with a ball joint press instead of replacing entire lower control arm assembly. Since the ball joint for steel lower control arm or Aluminum one is different, So, make sure.

The part number is for a cast iron control arm.
The aluminum and cast look exactly alike with very slight differences. The aluminum ones don't come painted either, just raw aluminum.

OP
OP
M

Mike_oat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is Moog k500007 the correct ball joint for my cast iron control arm? I called local parts store and they gave me this, but I’ve only found a couple places online saying they are for cast iron and most have said they are for aluminum, so that confuses me?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that one says for aluminum control arms only. I looked at MOOG site and didn't see any ball joints, just complete control arms.
What I would do is e-mail gmpartsdirect or any other gm specific site and ask them using your VIN#. That way they will get a vehicle specific item number and you can reference it off of that. Or buy direct and OE.

OP
OP
M

Mike_oat

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm, that one says for aluminum control arms only. I looked at MOOG site and didn't see any ball joints, just complete control arms.
What I would do is e-mail gmpartsdirect or any other gm specific site and ask them using your VIN#. That way they will get a vehicle specific item number and you can reference it off of that. Or buy direct and OE.

Thanks once again

Steve A

Reaction score
Cast iron LCA? I have never seen a cast iron control arm, some of the arms listed as steel are forged and look somewhat like cast iron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon