Low Oil Pressure When Warm, Engine Shuts Off When < 10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YD2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - 2007 Yukon Denali 6.2 - 170,000 mi. Read many Low Oil Pressure posts. Seems like most say to replace oil pump o-ring, but symptoms in those posts say oil pressure is worse when cold, better when war/hot, due to cold seal not sealing as well, warm one seals better.

My symptom is backwards. Problem seemed to happen overnight. On 300-mile trip during Thanksgiving 2016, pulled-off half-way at a Wendy's, and engine shut off when getting in drive-thru. Started up in about a minute. Noticed idle pressure was less than 10. At destination, pulled up to son's driveway, engine quit.

Kind of repeat same thing coming back home. Engine will quit if left at lo-lo idle for very long - I guess a computer is shutting it down to protect it ?
Oh - as long as I'm stepping on gas, pressure is 40+, and everything runs great...but lift up foot quickly, and lo pressure quickly occurs...and sometimes engine quits.

Took to my usual car fixit place. They suspect main bearings and other wear/tear, and want to replace engine. Well, hold on there. There's also a small oil leak coming from way above the oil drain plug area, up above that - plug is on right-rear-corner of pan. Fixit guy says that is coming from small leak at 2 places on rear main seal...I can believe that. He also says that seal is not under pressure, so that fixing that seal won't help pressure. Is that true ?

(He has run the engine a couple of times to verify where oil is dropping from, and he took a picture of where oil drops landed on cardboard and I've seen the leak in my son's street, and my driveway before taking to fixit guy - so his and my seeing of where the leak is lines up.)

He has run engine from cold, just left idling to see what the pressure does. Started out at 40+, after 12-15 min's, needle moved to 30, 20, 10, and a little less...engine did not shut off. So like I said, bad o-ring in posts seem to say opposite direction. I'm wondering if mine just happens to seal better cold, and not when warm.

Any ideas ? I've posted here before, but been a couple of years and can't find USERIDPass, so I am now YD2007.

PS Mar 2016 oil sensor unit replaced by same fixit guy, and oil pan seal.

(and still Dave)

Last edited:

Always a Chevy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have had the same issue with 6.0 and 6.2 Vortec's. Started having oil change shop add 1/2 bottle of Lucas Oil Additive (like STP) at oil change and problem stopped. Multi Viscosity Oils are too thin as the engine wears IMO. Have 245,000 miles on 07 6.2 and no problems and has 30lbs of oil pressure at idle

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be a dumb question, but have you changed the oil and filter since this happened? Cheap oil filters have been known to cause low pressure issues.

OP
OP
Y

YD2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
RR - never a dumb question. 1 day before our 300+ mile one-way trip, on which trip we experienced 2 shut-downs, I changed the oil/filter.
However, next time I'll buy the "best" oil filter, whatever that is.

Please read my followup post, "Somewhat Fixed ! Low Oil Pressure at Low Idle !"

The fixit place of course did their own oil/filter change. Guess I need to look at what they used.

Dave H

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RR - never a dumb question. 1 day before our 300+ mile one-way trip, on which trip we experienced 2 shut-downs, I changed the oil/filter.
However, next time I'll buy the "best" oil filter, whatever that is.

Please read my followup post, "Somewhat Fixed ! Low Oil Pressure at Low Idle !"

The fixit place of course did their own oil/filter change. Guess I need to look at what they used.

Dave H
So it was the o-ring? Good deal. But as far as filters, Wix is always a good choice.

im12nv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have had the same issue with 6.0 and 6.2 Vortec's. Started having oil change shop add 1/2 bottle of Lucas Oil Additive (like STP) at oil change and problem stopped. Multi Viscosity Oils are too thin as the engine wears IMO. Have 245,000 miles on 07 6.2 and no problems and has 30lbs of oil pressure at idle
hello! i just purchased a 07 denali having the same issues. oil pressure drops at idle and after it warms up. do you happen to have a picture of the additive so get the correct stuff? i don't want to cause any other problems with the motor. Thanks!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons