Low Beam Headlights Not Working (Intermittent Problem)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, for a whike now, on my 1999 2 door tahoe, my low beam headlights would intermittently not work. With the DRL fuse in, low beams worked. But when low beams were turned on using the headlight switch, they would go off. Bright lights would work but low beams would not. All fuses were good and bulbs were good. I did finally figure out my low beams would work when the tilt was all the way down, but if tilt was up at all they wouldn't work. This told me automatically there was a broken wire. After some online research, I was convinced it was the multifunction switch, which controls cruise control, blinkers, wipers etc. I tore down the column last night and found what I expected to find. Cheap fix. $46 on Amazon.

There is a great guide in how to do this in youtube by 1A Auto

IMG_1691.JPG IMG_1692.JPG IMG_1693.JPG IMG_1691.JPG

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just as a follow-up to my post. Got the new switch in today. Problem solved. Everything works as it should.

redneckcowboy28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having a similar problem with my 2005. Have noticed that if I bang on the headlights they will come back on. Think I dealing with the same thing?

Never noticed if it was different when the tilt is move as my wife runs tilt up and I run tilt down we have both had the issue.

Yours is the only post I have seen on this and thought I would ask here before starting a new thread.

Thanks,
Jesse

OP
OP
bunchz71

bunchz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having a similar problem with my 2005. Have noticed that if I bang on the headlights they will come back on. Think I dealing with the same thing?

Never noticed if it was different when the tilt is move as my wife runs tilt up and I run tilt down we have both had the issue.

Yours is the only post I have seen on this and thought I would ask here before starting a new thread.

Thanks,
Jesse
Yours sounds like a bad connection to me. I would unplug your lights and grease them up with electrical grease and reconnect them. Sounds like a bad connection for sure.

redneckcowboy28

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tried all that this morning. Can’t seem to recreate the problem. Had one bulb burnt out and replaced it with the spare in the glovebox. Starting to think maybe just bulbs going bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu