loud ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1badbowtie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Lately when I've remote started my truck there's been an audible ticking for the first 15-20 seconds it's running. Haven't paid much attention to it, just figured it was from it being so cold lately. Today on my way into work i hit a bump, and the tick I heard a few times at cold start turned into a much more pronounced tick and constant. Pulled over and popped the hood, tick still there so i turned it off and had it towed into the dealership. When i was on the phone with the dealer they originally said it sounded like a stuck lifter. A few hours later i got a call from the dealership saying "it was misfiring and sounded like a camshaft problem. We'll get the parts ordered and will evaluate from there." Luckily it's still under the 100000 mile power-train warranty, so it's covered, but is that odd to anyone else? The truck has 36400 miles on it and is a 2013 w/ the 6.2 engine. Is this common? I don't drive it like a saint, but i'm not racing from stoplight to stoplight. Is it possibly related to AFM? Should I ask the dealer for any specific info to make sure it's completely fixed? Sorry for all the question but i'm kinda worried that at 36400 miles it's having this issue.

KATfishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously it's getting a dealer diagnosis, but when I first read your post, I immediately thought "leaking exhaust manifold"... either from sheered off bolt heads or a cracked manifold. Sounds like that is NOT the case. Good luck!

Rule Andrews

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had something similar on my 5.3, turned out that a valve spring broke...Valve fell in the cylinder and pistons bashed it around pretty bad. Started as a misfire and ticking...

steve34459

Reaction score
Luckily you have warranty. We had a case where a few lifters broke and fell into the camshaft. The "ticking" was loud at all speeds/rpm This happened in a yukon denali 2010 w/ about 60k miles. Unfortunately, the truck was out of warranty but had a chevrolet dealer fix it. It then happened again at about 80k miles. Instead of going to the dealer, we had a mechanic fix the repair and he said the lifters the dealer used in the previous repair were bound to mess up again. First repair was in late 2015. Second repair was in late 2016.

willy679

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had a similar issue with my 05 Tahoe with a 4.8 in her stomach....that famous ticking noise at 227.467miles.Went on top,both sides and under the Hoe trying to figure it out.Took the valve covers off...nothing.All looked good.Still had the ticking only at low speeds or at idle.Noticed that the needle on the oil gauge was say a 1/16 - 1/8 off center on the gauge.When giving it gas say 1800rpm the gauge was at center and the ticking went away.I dropped oil pan and took off the inlet tub to oil pump.The O ring on the tube was flat and also broken.Replaced O ring on inlet tube for $2.89.Tickings gone and my oil pressure needle stays at center.Today she at 279.721 all still good.One simple something,something to look at when that ticking is an issue.

OP
OP

1badbowtie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Heard back from the dealer today, only issue was the lifters. Not sure which ones, or why they/it failed but will chat with them tomorrow to get more info.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask them if the troublesome lifter is a De-Ac or regular, AFM related or normal lifter. Both can fail. The new Delphi II De-Ac lifters are significantly better than the older two as is the new VLOM manifold.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer replaced entire engine in my 2012 6.2 with about 55k miles under power train warranty about 8 months ago. Same cold tick for a minute or so. They "cleaned up the top end" whatever that means but didnt fix anything. Pulled engine, and dissassembled to find a few crank bearings gone and rebuilt, still wasn't any good. And finally they replaced entire long block.

Keep on top of it, it's 100k miles but only 5 year iirc check and see the actual date it expires. Make sure they're not trying to bandaid the problem till you're out of warranty.

OP
OP

1badbowtie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got my yukon back today! The lifter that failed was one of the afm lifters. They replaced all 16 lifters to make sure it didn’t happen on others. Still feel like there’s a light tick and the shop told me to bring it back Monday. The only thing that has me worried is originally they said it was misfiring and needed to have the camshaft replaced, and went to “never mind, it’s only a litter, it wasn’t misfiring”. I’m pretty sure the warranty was 10 Years, 100000 miles for the power train, but will double check. Thanks for all
The Info!!!