Looking to upgrade my 2000 Burb to a 2010 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife wants me to upgrade my current 2000 Suburban that has 227,000 miles. I recently have been talking with a guy from Wisconsin who has a 2010 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4X4 for sale. It has the 6.2L engine. Has all the bells and whistles It has 108K Miles. I have not gone and seen it yet, just pictures.

What should I look for when I do see it?

What questions should I ask abut the vehicle?

The middle seat is a bench seat. At first I was not keen on the idea but with a daughter in Gymnastics and a son in Hockey and another daughter in Dance, the extra seat might come in handy. My questions is how do you gain entry to the back seat? I am assuming one of seats must flip forward. I have seen videos of an automatic function for this but I am not sure if it is on the bench seat option. Does anyone know?

I am going to offer around 18,000 on the vehicle with the current mileage. That is if I decide I like it. I plan on putting between 5 and 10 grand down as a down payment because we just bought a new van and the payments are high enough that I don't want another high vehicle payment with a second vehicle.

A little background on my driving habits or whatever you want to call it.

I don't tow anything besides an occasional trailer if I need to make a junk run.

I put on about 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year so I am okay buying a truck with 108K miles. I am sure I will have to do a tune up and be ready to replace things.

I have 4 kids. I don't want anything smaller because the room and storage inside is just not there.

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so 4x4 is a must.

Most of our commute is with our van. The only long distance trips with the Yukon will be during the winter months.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a great looking Denali. I guess the first thing I’d ask to see is service records. Then go on line and look for TSB or recall items. If you enter the VIN it will tell you if it’s fixed. My 07 Denali had a recall on the heated washer fluid.
As for the rear seat access there a button just inside the rear doors that folds the top down then folds the entire seat forward. I had a 2000 burb and the Denali is better in every way. Oh Denali are AWD all the time no need to engage 4wd. Any other? I can help with pm me. Others will hop in this post too. Lots of knowledge here.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this in the wrong section. Can anyone move my post please.

OP
OP
S

Stimpy911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put this in the wrong section. Can anyone move my post please.

I have been doing some reading and it looks like I will need to fill it with premium gas. I don't think the previous owners did that. What should I look for when I go take it for a test drive?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some early 2010s had the L9H non AFM engine before they switched over to the L94 which has AFM. The RPO sheet is in the glovebox.

Check for rust and rot. See how it runs at highway speeds and listen for drivetrain and suspension and steering sounds.

Normal stuff to change at this mileage are the front hubs and sometimes the front suspension and tie rods and such and see if the 100k service was done, all fluids changed. All tires should be the same and same tread, AWD does not like different tires on either axle.

Ask when he last replaced the navigation disc, 2016 was the final year for that style nav/radio.

Test EVERY button and function on the remotes, interior and exterior. Make sure the parking brake holds the truck in place too.

RonnieMc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife wants me to upgrade my current 2000 Suburban that has 227,000 miles. I recently have been talking with a guy from Wisconsin who has a 2010 GMC Yukon XL Denali 4X4 for sale. It has the 6.2L engine. Has all the bells and whistles It has 108K Miles. I have not gone and seen it yet, just pictures.

What should I look for when I do see it?

What questions should I ask abut the vehicle?

The middle seat is a bench seat. At first I was not keen on the idea but with a daughter in Gymnastics and a son in Hockey and another daughter in Dance, the extra seat might come in handy. My questions is how do you gain entry to the back seat? I am assuming one of seats must flip forward. I have seen videos of an automatic function for this but I am not sure if it is on the bench seat option. Does anyone know?

I am going to offer around 18,000 on the vehicle with the current mileage. That is if I decide I like it. I plan on putting between 5 and 10 grand down as a down payment because we just bought a new van and the payments are high enough that I don't want another high vehicle payment with a second vehicle.

A little background on my driving habits or whatever you want to call it.

I don't tow anything besides an occasional trailer if I need to make a junk run.

I put on about 10,000 to 12,000 miles per year so I am okay buying a truck with 108K miles. I am sure I will have to do a tune up and be ready to replace things.

I have 4 kids. I don't want anything smaller because the room and storage inside is just not there.

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so 4x4 is a must.

Most of our commute is with our van. The only long distance trips with the Yukon will be during the winter months.

View attachment 199777 View attachment 199778 View attachment 199779 View attachment 199780 View attachment 199781
Here's a site that I check for the year models with the most problems in the Yukon Denali's.
http://www.gmcproblems.com/Yukon/ It looks as though that year was one of the better years. I've sorta been looking to trade up on my 2005 due to various problems and some of them are listed. I do like mine over the 1992 burb that I had when the transmission finally gave up (270,000+).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu