Looking to buy 2008 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mechanicus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a 2008 ltz Tahoe, that appears to have a lift with fox shocks. Has 137,000 miles, and they want $20,500. Carfax says 4 owners, no damage and needs one recall.

My problem is, this being the first Tahoe I buy, what should I be asking when I go for a test drive and what to look for. Also what is a good technique on testing 4wd?

Here is a link to their website
http://www.wholesalenashville.com/2008-Chevrolet-Tahoe/Used-SUV/MtJuliet-TN/8879857/Details.aspx

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prices vary by region, but $20K seems high for a 2008 with 137k miles unless it's truly perfect in appearance and operation and requires no maintenance items.

I would not pay $20k for the vehicle in question unless the lift and wheels/tires are worth at least $3-4k of that total price and I really liked them.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^What he said. Mine was in near-pristine condition with 147K, all stock except for tint and 2WD. I got it for $17,000 out the door which came to something like $15,200 before taxes and fees. 4WD adds value and cars seem to be higher-priced the further north you go, but Nashville isn't all that "north". If they're sensible, they know they have plenty of bargaining room to come down a couple grand at least.

MichaelSE

2010 2500
Reaction score
This is another unfortunate case of the seller thinking "mods add value." They don't; at least, not to a high extent. That looks like an $18500-19000 Tahoe.

OP
OP
mechanicus

mechanicus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I will be test driving it this Saturday and try for 17,500 (kbb price) and hopefully it's not full of problems. I looked at another lifted and the stabitrac/a bunch of other things started coming up. The dealership said it was the lift that caused it. Is there a way to test the 4wd or know if the lifters are bad?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, not only do aftermarket parts/mods not increase value, but they could cause issues with a safety feature on the vehicle and the dealer is STILL trying to profit off of them? lol

I'm pretty sure there are relatively simple ways to make the Stabilitrak and lift play nicely together if it has light(s) on. You should be able to tell when the 4WD is engaged by the change in feel, especially on pavement. As for the lifters, you'll need a crystal ball if they won't let you remove the cylinder heads during your inspection. My best suggestion is to see if you can be at the dealership and witness it being started for the first time after sitting overnight or at least for a few hours. Listen for a ticking. This would be the bare minimum of concern for the lifters. If they tick while driving after the engine is warm, then you'll have your answer.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
Tires are shot which I would have them replace for that price tag to start. Also looks like it had some camber issues and swapped the tires to the rear.

I'd also be very weary with 4 previous owners as it would be hard to track down service history, etc.

I bought a one owner, 3LT packaged Z71 Suburban for 11.5K before fees with rebuilt drive terrain in California where SUV's are known to sell high priced. Just keep your eyes peeled, the right ones out there somewhere :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mont