Looking to buy 1st Tahoe or Tahoe and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello guys,...first time poster here!

I am looking to buy a Tahoe/Yukon and would like some help choosing the correct year/model/options. This will be our third vehicle and used very limited for boat pulling and hauling 4 adults on the weekend. My wife has a Honda civic she loves and I have a F150 that I drive but we need a larger vehicle to haul people to "town" and an additional boat puller.

Seeing as this suv will set most of the time I don't want to spend a lot, somewhere around $20,000+/- with less than 140,000 miles. I am finding several Tahoes/Yukons that fit this requirement from 2008-2012 year models. My boat is less than 4000lbs. so the 5.3 should be plenty but wouldn't mind the extra power of the 6.2.

My first concern is reliability as I am buying higher mileage and towards the end of the vehicles life. I am not concerned with fuel mileage within reason. I would like to add aftermarket wheels and tires for a little more aggressive stance and better ability launching my boat on bad boat ramps, probably 20's with 33x12.50 or 35x12.50. What is required to install larger tires/wheels? This will be my first ever GM product purchase(my family my disown me) so I really don't want to have to eat crow if this thing turns out to be a lemon!:eek:

Thanks guys!!:)

calif phil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would recommend a 2009 and up so you get the 6 speed trans. Buy the best one you find in your price range.
I’m the opposite my family would disown me if I bought other than GM. I have 5 GM in my household and luv them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009s introduced the 6-speed transmission in the 5.3s and bluetooth connection for the phone, Side Blind Zone Alert became available as well as cooled seats (already have heated). 2010 added USB to the Nav Radio. 2012 the Navigation system was updated and for this year and beyond, the tow/haul was further enhanced with more features.

140k is not the end of their lives, maybe, just maybe half life. Keep the fluids clean and it'll run forever.

Consider a 4WD truck with the 2-speed transfer case for those slippery boat ramps. Not AWD like a Denali of this vintage.

Can't help you with larger wheel/tire fitment, stock for me, but I would suggest an AT tire like the BFG KO2 so at low tide you'll be less likely to slip and slide on a slimy ramp, especially in 4LO.

A truck with a 3.08 gear has a max towing ability of 5,000 lbs (if memory serves across the board) as do trucks with 22" wheels regardless of axle ratio.

An '07 or '08 will have a 4-speed transmission and tow best with 3.73 gears. The 3.42s work fine for the later years and is as high as they go from the factory unless you're looking at a 2500.

Arm yourself with some RPO codes so you'll know what to look for, consider getting a subscription at compnine.com, $5, allows you to decode 5 VINs for that amount last time I checked.

You might find yourself driving it more than that Ford!

At Coggin in Jacksonville, Florida is a 2009 Tahoe LTZ 4WD, not AWD with the 6.2. Rare truck and that one looked very nice and is worthy of further inspection. The 6.2 (L9H) in this truck does not have AFM/DOD.

Rojodenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 2015 LTZ with 16k miles for $49k...seem like good price. The truck is like new. These cracks above the bolts are concerning. Is this the way they are supposed to be?

IMG_6944.JPG

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just get the 6spd 2wd if your not going to do anything special with it, less things to deal with, weighs less, better gas mileage.

OP
OP
N

Nitrostick

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful information guys!

I have been online shopping/researching so long they are all starting to look the same. I like the look of the Tahoe a little better than the Yukon but really like the thoughts of pulling the boat with the 6.2 found only in the Denali.

I am really surprised how the wheels/trim level affects the "look" of these vehicles. I found 2 Tahoes, same year and color but one was LS and the other LSZ, really liked the LSZ and didn't care for the LS, from what I could tell the wheels are the only difference?

I have found a few listed as a Z71 Tahoe. What does the Z71 option consist of?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a Tahoe with a 6.2 in 2009. I also gave you a lead on one. The Chevrolet's highest trim offering is LTZ, similar to GMCs Denali. Z71 is an off road suspension package for 4x4s.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...l?listingId=471979434&hideBackLink=true&Log=0

f25c5181117a452693b2e84bfdfcb388.jpg

Last edited:

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a 2015 LTZ with 16k miles for $49k...seem like good price. The truck is like new. These cracks above the bolts are concerning. Is this the way they are supposed to be?

View attachment 189245

That manifold is cracked. Definitely needs to be replaced. Those must have been a rough 16k miles or there was a defect in the casting. Do not buy unless the seller is going to cover the cost of replacement or is going to replace the manifolds.

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice already and I’d just add that which ever model you choose, just make sure you disable the AFM asap. Useless thing that’s nothing but a pain in the ass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs