Looking for a diesel 4x4 'burb. What to look for??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildernessJeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 Denali that I love around town, but my wife and I are looking to move further out of town. Now we are looking for a snow truck (possibly a plow) and long distance hauler, and was considering a 1999 or older diesel 'burb for the job. What should I look for when interviewing candidates? Body cancer seems to be a big deal in the Northeast, especially at the tips of the frame. How is the turbo diesel engine? Any particular transmission or drivelines to look for?

Edit: Yes, I already read the sticky. I'm specifically looking for info on the diesel motor and 2500 series. I know the doors are going to sag.

Last edited:

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your not looking for a power house, the 6.5 isn't the worst engine out there. A few simple mods and they are pretty reliable. As far as transmissions go, I believe they all came with the 4l80 which is a pretty stout transmission in factory form.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC

Latest posts