Locker VS Posi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What about selectable lockers where you turn the locker on the wheel hub to engage it? Could you install something like this or get a differential out of something else and swap it?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really into that but seen a bunch of youtube videos of folks taking these trucks through snow banks, mud, water, rock climbing, trails, etc. They seem to get through it alright but remember, these aren't 2,500lb jeeps, mine weighs 5,900lbs empty!

There's a mud trail near the house and I've had it in the sand and surf on Daytona Beach, didn't need 4WD but used it anyway, nothing really hindered it at all.

yukonoffroad27

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not really into that but seen a bunch of youtube videos of folks taking these trucks through snow banks, mud, water, rock climbing, trails, etc. They seem to get through it alright but remember, these aren't 2,500lb jeeps, mine weighs 5,900lbs empty!

There's a mud trail near the house and I've had it in the sand and surf on Daytona Beach, didn't need 4WD but used it anyway, nothing really hindered it at all.
Awesome lol. I tried taking mine off-road (it's stock) and through some mild mud, rocks, etc. It was way too easy in 4x4, and made I made it fine with very little spinning when I tried it in 4x4. Once I put some mud radials on it I think it will get plenty of traction.

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have used them all through the years.

Open - in current truck with awd and love it.

Limited slip or posi - good on road for extra traction. Okay for back roads but ultimately useless offeoad.

Locker - had an air locker in a blazer for off road. Ran it open on street.Best of both worlds.

Spool - dedicated mud truck where turning is not an issue. Will shred tires on road. Sure makes people jump in parking lots though :dogpile:

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an example of a lunchbox locker that fits the 2004 10 bolt? I've spent a whole weekend searching and it seems nothing exists for this gen?

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a Yukon Duragrip yesterday. Took 7 hours in the driveway on jackstands. Reinstalled the stock shims and got .009 backlash from the original .010. I added approximately 2oz of Yukon FM and think it was more than needed as there is no chatter or tire scrubbing.

Splorg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the thread. I know nothing about rear end diffs. This is my first truck based vehicle.

I've just been told that I'm being "redeployed" by my company to a location about 30 miles from home. My job requires me to be on site, without fail, regardless of inclement weather, unless the government nannies tell us we can't drive and close the roads due to the snow. (Central Pennsylvania)

AFAIK, my Yukon has the stock "3.73 locking rear end". I'll be driving on road in inclement weather. Is this bad for this application? Should I be looking for a remote lock diff before winter?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24