Locker VS Posi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BlueTahoe2001

BlueTahoe2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I was able to get around to this thread. Thanks guys for all the great information.

Now, Considering my options what would be better in this case. POSI VS. Electric locker?

Assuming that I have to drive the Tahoe around the Farm every now and then and also pull a weighted trailer with the Tahoe sometimes as well. Trailer weighs a good bit with all the Dirt and what not in it.

I was thinking that an electric locker could come in more handy allowing me to have that extra traction on demand and have it open on the street?

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look up powertrax they at richmong gears the have videos showing the difference. i got a powertrax no slip its pricy but amazing

WoldD90

Off Road Addict
Reaction score
If you need a locker, get an e-locker or an ARB air locker. These are both selectable, allowing you to turn them on when you need them and only when you need them.

The traditional lockers are typically a Detroit or a TruTrack. These both activate with wheel spin, and they do not typically belong on a street only truck. They have been used in race and drag cars to keep traction.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
little bit of an old post here but I installed an Auburn gear type posi unit. maybe it was cones? I know there was nothing to wear out inthere. I had it in my 98 Tahoe. The harder you throttled it the harder it locked. but if you mashed the throttle in a corner it wouldn't break loose. Mash the throttle going straight and then turn. It would go right around locked up. I loved it!

On night in on dry pavement in front of my inlaws I got em spinning and did 5 full donuts with my tahoe. pretty cool.

Bossy70

Reaction score
I have street experience with a stock open rear, a spool, stock limited slip, a cone-clutch limited slip (Auburn), a Powertrax No-Slip locker (Richmond), and a Detroit TrueTrac (Eaton).

Like Max, I would suggest the Detoit TrueTrac. I actually have put this in two different vehicles, one being a 700rwhp street car. Operation is smooth and quiet, traction is great, and it seems to withstand a good bit of abuse. Also, they are maintanance free (no cluthes to replace like conventional "limited slip"/"posi").

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
I have a trutrac and 4.56s in my denali and love it. Really depends on the application but I'm a huge fan of the trutrac for a limited slip, my shit hooks and engages smooth as butter. Oh and no factory vehicle that I know of comes with a trutrac, the dodges and most chrysler vehicles came with a trac lock which is a conventional clutch type lsd.

2000Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I off road and street drive and my Yota doesnt have any problems with a Locker I think what your looking for is a more positive locking diff spools are ok but your gonna wear out one rear tire because the rear end doesnt unlock when turning a corner a good locker will act like an open rear end when turning corners and will lock up again when driving in a straight line i have no issues with my locker driving on the street as i dont trailer my 4x4's i drive them 2 and from the trails and yes i do extreme with my one rig. anyway i really dont think your gonna wanna spool in that rear end street driving is not something you want a spool for your rear end will always be locked no matter what and you rear tire's will wear out because of that at least with a locker your rear end will act as normal iif it's installed right just my 2 cent's though from experience. :party52:

BeenChevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rob71 nailed it exactly with the G80-type. If you drive on slick road conditions more than loose gravel inclines the locker is less than ideal. It could be described by compare driving on ice with knobby mud tires vs. bizzak ice tires if that helps draw a picture.

Interested in swapping out with a 4.10 re-gear. Anyone recommend best bang for buck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu